News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Best speedometer cable lube

Started by ssevy, August 02, 2022, 05:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssevy

My new cable came with a light coat of grease from the factory. I have read several different suggestions from liquid graphite to grease as best for these cables. Logically, I think grease would pick up particles which might be abrasive, so I was thinking perhaps cleaning the cable well and then applying some Dupont teflon lube like I used on my chain before I got my Scottoiler. The vehicle evaporates and leaves a coating of dry teflon. It was great chain lube.
Anyone with experience care to offer other suggestions?
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Sin_Tiger

That might well be a good solution. I regard the makers grease as no more than preservative  :augie

I use CV Joint grease in my cables, applied hot with a cable oiler and syringe for throttle and choke. It doesn't dry out, at least not yet!
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ssevy

I ordered something called "Kable Ease" that is designed for this type of application.
I'll post some photos when I get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Lee337

Don't think I've ever oiled a cable - the clutch cable on the Tiger was a bit stiff when I got her, so I replaced it with a Slinky Glide cable, although I've noticed recently it feels a little stiff again. This could be down to riding first the Trophy with a hydraulic clutch and a relatively modern FJR which had a light clutch rather than a deterioration of the Tiger's clutch cable.

I also fairly recently had to replace the Trophy speedo cable after it broke.

Maybe I should reconsider my cable maintenance strategy.  :icon_scratch:
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

ssevy

This Kable Ease product is thin and black, so I assume it is similar to all of the other graphite based products?
Not a grease for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Madruss

Sprayed some drylube (liquid graphite) down the speedo cable today.
Use this product on the blade circle of road graders as it dries & doesn't attract dust
1996 Granite black Steamer, ahead of 40 odd others owned
Regards Russ
An ounce of luck is worth a ton of experience!