News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Recommended for '96 Tiger

Started by Aeschere, September 14, 2022, 10:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aeschere

Hello all,

Why we are at it, I have some more questions about getting the Tiger as comfortable and reliable as possible. When the bike comes back from the big maintenance job I would like to visit some WATOC events. Of course, everything is doable but a little comfort never hurts. :rrr
It also helps if the parts are reliable.

What are your suggestions for getting the Tigers as comfortable and reliable as possible?
I will keep this post updated with all the suggestions. Hopefully others will find this useful as well.

Ideas I would like to explore; higher windscreen, different seat, heated grips, navigation, cases, raised handlebars, shocks (front and back), DAR (or is that fixed with '96 versions?)

Let's hear your ideas and suggestions to create more comfort and reliability on the tiger

Nick Calne

Key thing is getting the windscreen right, but you will be lucky to find aftermarket kit.  Can be a noisy bike without a screen of some sort.

Then a comfy seat. At this point the best bet is to go and get it reshaped by a local upholstery company.

Lower pegs make a difference for many and there are several options available.

Oxford heated grips are probably your go to.  Mine have stopped working recently after some 25 years of use.

The handlebars is a tricky one, search the forum for info.  From memory many taller ones will hit the fairing so check carefully.

Cases etc specific for the bike come up occasionally on ebay, you will probably need to be patient.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Madruss

Is there some "bracketry" to lower your pegs available?  :icon_study:
I'd rather have a look at some before I attempt to fabricate some. :icon_smile:
1996 Granite black Steamer, ahead of 40 odd others owned
Regards Russ
An ounce of luck is worth a ton of experience!

London_Phil

One of the Original members of the Forum, "Mustang", who sadly passed away a few years ago, did fabricate some lowered ones, as there was little or no alternatives.
Put a request in Wanted section, in case anyone has a spare set, but more likely you need to fabricate some.

Madruss

Regards Russ

London_Phil

This is a link to another site, where he shows them
https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/triumph-tiger-off-road-foot-pegs.660374/

It may help if you decide to fabricate your own.

Madruss

Cool just manufactured upside down or reversed.
Regards Russ

Aeschere

I have been absent for some time but it would be great if someone could take over the manufacturing of the pegs or draw up some sketches with measurements so we can help the local metalworker stay in business :)

About the handlebar, Wolfgang from Tigerparts.de, recommends the Magura AX-2. This bar should come higher and more toward the rider for a more comfortable ride.

The Hepco & Becker system is the only luggage system available for the steamer and the kit comes in two parts. One for the side and one for the top. To me, it is a bit unclear what the benefit of the top kit is over the default top rack. Could anyone elaborate?

Aeschere

For inspiration, this is how the bike looks now. Would be great to get it more comfortable so that I can enjoy it for the years to come.

Next Wednesday, it should receive a new chain and sprockets....if we can get the nut off. Last time we tried, we just torqued the equipment  :BangHead

You cannot see attachments on this board.

Madruss

Found some dimensions on a site for the Magura AX2 bars
Regards Russ

Madruss

Regards Russ

Sin_Tiger

Looks really nice.

If you use a socket and long bar directly, a lot of force is lost due to the angles involved and the risk of the socket slipping off is greater.

Use a short extension supported at the same centrre height as the output sprocket shaft, this allows a straighter push on the torque bar without any angluar force component on the socket.

Don't be afraid to heat the sprocket nut, I'm sure you'll be replacing the shaft seal at the same time after going to all that effort. Ox/Ac is best as you can get enough heat onto a precise area quickly, MAP gas cans aren't as hot, fast enough or precise, give the socket a couple of big whacks while the sprocket & nut are hot. A word of caution when removing the old seal, go easy to prevent damaging the integral seal on the bearing behind the shaft seal.

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Madruss

Just about have the same gear on my battle scarred black tiger.
A centre stand still eludes me, mainly the price.
Regards Russ

Aeschere

Any idea what back rack is on mine? I thought it was original but it looks like it came with a plastic one with Triumph stamped in it. No idea what is mounted here.

And good call about the seal. I wasn't sure I had everything but I just checked and it looks like everything is ready to go.

This is what I have lined up now:
You cannot see attachments on this board.

- 48 and 18 teeth sprockets
- Two chain links (in case I mess up one)
- Casket
- T1180181 - Washer Sprocket
- T3600008 - Oil Seal
- Oil Filter
- Chain breaker
- DID 530 chain. Should be 113 links
- Big socket

93TigerBill-2016

Hi, the rack on the '96 as pictured is actually an early - '93~'94? - rack, and much stronger than the later plastic ones.
Incidentally, it's a good idea to install longer mount bolts, and fit Nyloc locknuts - for some reason, they like to undo themselves.... damhik!

On the question of the front sprocket - on my second fitment (still bloody tight!), I used a pneumatic rattle-gun, after chocking the back wheel - came off easy!  Make sure you have an exact size socket, I used a six-point.
'93 Triumph Tiger, Caspian Blue, Blue Engine Cases
132,000 km;  IBA #45911