News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel pump problem 2005 Girly

Started by Fross, November 09, 2014, 10:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

The reason I asked you to try with the engine off is to eliminate the possibility that the laptop was taking time out from the readings to do other things then updating the display when it had finished.  It does look as though you have a damaged potentiometer track inside the TPS so, hopefully, you'll have it sorted when the new one is in place.

Regarding it not showing before,  my experience is that once the ECU has been upset by a low battery anything is possible.  My first experience of this was my local Triumph dealer doing a simple remap on my bike, before I knew anything of how these things work, and giving it back to me not running.  Hours of reading, deduction and some money for Tuneboy (TuneECU wasn't around then) and I'd worked out what was going on.  I took it in for a remap after fitting my Blueflame.  My battery was weak so the new map didn't take.  Confused by this the dealer tried valiantly to fix it by trying other maps but nothing worked properly so I was asked to take it home and book it in the following week for investigation.  The ride home was awful.  It wouldn't tick over and needed a big handful of revs to get  it to pull.  It was also very reluctant to start.  I took it back on the agreed date and the following day it was even worse, it wouldn't run at all and he showed me the injectors not firing.  I then started to learn about fuel injection.  To cut a long story short it turned out that a new battery and a remap got it running again. 

Due me not remembering as well as I used to it took me a while when confronted with similar symptoms recently to remember the injectors not firing was an indication of the battery / map problem.

Working on what I think is a similar issue here:

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,14229.0.html

Note his video clip and mine sound very similar, except I know what was wrong with mine.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bixxer Bob

Just checked my readings today and with the engine off, in test mode TuneECU reads the TPS accurately from 1% to 78% (you never get 100%) so you seem to have nailed it.

I've uploaded a couple of screenshots for reference, ignore the difference in baro readings between Tuneboy and TuneECU, they are different units but are roughly the same.  You'll note that your O2 reading is rich compared with mine, in balance it should read 0.46v Rich would be 0.8-0.9v lean would be 0.05-0.1v  they generally read one of these three if they're working right.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Fross

I'm still waiting for the new TPS to arrive but had some time this morning so removed the throttle bodies. It wasn't difficult just fiddly, all the six screws came undone OK without damaging the Torx screw heads. Also the two 4mm TPS Torx screws came undone easy. I will replace the screws with Allen heads anyway and can confirm what's needed are six 6mm by 30mm screws for the throttle bodies and two 4mm by 25mm screws for the TPS. I think it'll be more difficult trying to get the bodies back on without damaging the new gasket, so great care and patience will be required. :icon_wink:
2005 Tiger plus a few Norton's dating from 1951 to 1972. New winter bike Kawasaki W650.
British Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.

Bixxer Bob

In the mean time, scrape the old gasket off.  Be careful to not let any go down the cylinder intakes (I blocked mine up with a ball of masking tape, sticky side out so anything tended to stick to it) and careful not to score the mating surfaces. I use the end of a 6" steel rule but then I come from a generation of machinists who considered the 6" rule to be the ultimate universal tool, long before Leatherman thought of it  :icon_mrgreen:

Fross

The masking tape idea is great. :eusa_clap I didn't use anything special to remove the old gasket, most of it pulled off, what was left I scraped away with my finger nails, then finally used a cloth with some brake cleaning solvent.
I've chased up my parts order and they've said I should receive them tomorrow. :thumbsup
Gasket faces prepared in this picture.
2005 Tiger plus a few Norton's dating from 1951 to 1972. New winter bike Kawasaki W650.

Mustang

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on January 06, 2015, 02:15:42 PM
I use the end of a 6" steel rule but then I come from a generation of machinists who considered the 6" rule to be the ultimate universal tool, long before Leatherman thought of it  :icon_mrgreen:
:iagree handy little things they are  :thumbsup

Fross

Fross

Hi everyone, I finally got time to put the bike back together and it started and ran OK, revved up nicely but didn't idle.
I connected up my laptop and started TuneECU, reloaded the correct 10172map into my bike, double clicked "reset TPS" which as I understand resets the throttle closed (zero position). I started the engine and waited a few minutes to let it warm up without touching the throttle, then blipped the throttle and it picked up instantly coming back to a nice 1200 rpm. I then switched off the engine then switched the ignition back on (waited for TuneECU to reconnect) and watched the TPS gauge as I slowly opened and closed the twist grip. The gauge rose and then dropped as it should, only reaching 77% at full throttle and returning to 0% perfectly. I am yet to road test the bike but will post here when I have.
:wheel
In conclusion, I would suggest to anyone who suspects their TPS is faulty to carry out the simple TuneECU test.
Interestingly, when I took both my Transit van and my Kawasaki for their MOT's yesterday morning I happened to show the removed TPS (it was in my pocket) to my MOT man and he said it looks just like the ones fitted to some Ford Fiesta's. I wonder if the same item is used on many other vehicles?

Bixxer Bob

Fingers crossed that's it sorted then!   :thumbsup

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on January 08, 2015, 07:52:56 PM
Fingers crossed that's it sorted then!   :thumbsup

+ 1 on that as im way out O pop corn  :ImaPoser

hope she purrs like a kitten  :thumbsup

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Fross

I rode to my British bike club tonight and I can report yes, she's purring like a kitten. :nod
My Tiger is her old self again, running great, thanks for everyones help. :thumbsup

John Stenhouse

In answer to is it fitted to other things, without a doubt.

Anyone remember the Toyota recall a few years ago about cars that took off by themselves? A mate works for them and said the part at fault was bought from a supplier from whom Toyota took 75% of their production. The other 25% went to other manufacturers........never saw any other re calls did we?

That has no relevance, sorry, glad it's fixed.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Tallbloke

Happy New Year all.

It's an old thread but seems relevant. My 1999 886i Girly started up fine last week, but today, not a sound from the fuel pump after turning on the ignition...

Can anyone tell me where to find the connector block between the fuel pump and battery so I can check some voltages and clean the contacts? Is this a tank off job?

Thanks in advance for any help.

the slow heart

if I understand you correctly,

it is a seat off job, you will see the connector on the left side of the tank, close to fuel ports.