News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Talyn's Diary

Started by Lee337, December 30, 2022, 12:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

London_Phil

Quote from: Lee337 on January 21, 2023, 07:04:56 PMI also bought the shock adjuster, which I also fitted today. The adjuster wasn't seized although I gave it a good spray with PlusGas just in case.

One thing I'm a little confused about is the adjustment of the rear shock. The Owners handbook suggests winnding the spring pre load adjuster all the way in (clockwise) and setting it at 0 clicks for two up, solo with luggage or off road and 24 for solo riding without luggage. Thing is, the full range from all the way in to all the way out appears to be only 13 clicks.

I've set it at 7 clicks for now and will see how it feels when I go out next. I haven't touched the rebound damping yet, not even to check what it's set at.

I never adjusted mine...Probably need to look at sag, rebound and damping settings. Or just ride it...

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Lee337 on January 25, 2023, 03:24:44 PM:rfl  My bank account probably doesn't think so  :icon_biggrin:

Why did you tell her  :BangHead   :blah   ;)
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ghulst

Quote from: Lee337 on January 25, 2023, 03:24:44 PM:rfl  My bank account probably doesn't think so  :icon_biggrin:
Well, I know that feeling.  :*&*
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

Lee337

Talyn still sits in the garage, unused except for my post xmas ride which seems like months past, far more than the 6 weeks it actually was.

For those of you who are curious, I've had a little issue with my heart & had to go in to hospital a couple of weeks ago for what the cardiac surgeon called a 'procedure'. I mention this because I really didn't know how unwell I was until it was fixed. I didn't feel like riding anything, had little energy and probably shouldn't have taken Talyn out at the begining of January. :icon_rolleyes:

But I'm back now & all those little jobs that need doing, can be done, including hard wiring the Satnav and dashcams to her.

Unlike Tallulah, I didn't have to remove the tank, which was good as I'd have needed to also remove the engine bars, beak, indicator pods and rad covers, and I really didn't want to go that far. Luckily all I did need to remove was the tank infil panels, one bolt & they slide off. That gave me enough room to feed the Satnav cable and the 3 dashcam cables through under the tank & alongside the frame. There are 3 cables as there's one for the forward camera, one for the control box/microphone and one for the GPS reciever.  I only mention the number of cables because it would cause me a bit of a problem later. Once the infil panels were replaced, the wires were covered.

It took a little time to position the front camera, opting for sticking it to the off side  headlight housing. The rear camera is stuck again on the offside, to the side of the rear light.

The Satnav mount was a little more challenging & I had to remove the screen for that. I managed to use the original Garmin mount so the Satnav sits just above the clocks, rather than attaching it to the bars as I did on Tallulah.

When I first removed the seat, there was what can only be described as a nest of wiring, alongside the battery. This was from the after market Givi spotlights which had just been stuffed into any space available. Added to this was a green wire connected to the +ve terminal and disappearing under the tank. No idea what it was until I remived the infil pannels & found it connected to the spotlight wiring. It was the wire meant to connect to a switched live, so the spots wouldn't stay on once the ignition was off. Obviously they stayed on unless turned off at the spot switch on the bars. It seemed an ideal opportunity to sort this out as the dashcam also needed a switched live.

So, to be clear, there's 4 cables running from the front of the bike, 2 cables from the spot lights, running in to a relay, a connector block and another 3 cables to power the spotlights plus one switched live, then there's another cable running from the rear camera and yet another power cable running from the dashcam control box, which splits into 3 wires, positive, negative and switched live. I hope you're keeping up.  :qgaraduate

Anyway, back to connecting everything up. 10 minutes scratching my head & checking connectors & I couldn't find a suitable switched live wire to connect to, but figured there must be one running to the back of the bike for the rear light. Maybe I could use that.

To get to it, I had to remove the topbox plate, the fully looking plastic plate under it and finally the hefty looking metal plate under that which teverything bolted to. Once removed, I could see a relay which had a switched live wire. I connected a single wire to it with a bullet connector on the other end and ran it back as far as where the tool kit usually sits and secured it with a cable tie. I then joined the two switched live wires from the spotlights and dashcam together & using a female bullet connector, connected it to the wire I'd run from the relay. So far, so good.

After securing all the wiring at the rear of the bike, I replaced the topbox plate. Just the dashcam control box and an even bigger nest of wiring to find somewhere to go.  :icon_eek:

Upstairs in a cupboard, I have a waterproof oversuit, an Oxford Product one if memory serves. It came in it's own bag which is meant to clip around your waist, for ease of carrying. The thing is, the bag is an integral part of the suit, there's a zip approx 20cm long and the whole suit is supposed to fold up inside itself & tuck in through the zip. I used it once and it was waterproof, a plus for Oxford products, but no matter how I folded it, squeezed it, squashed it and shouted at it, I could never get a one piece rain suit made for a 180cm 87kg adult into a 20x18cm bag. That's why it was only used once & why for the past 8+ years, it's sat upstairs in a cupboard.

I mention this as I faced a similar problem tucking the wires for spotlights, satnav and dashcam neatly under the seat of Talyn.

Many cable ties later, I'm still not convinced I've achieved the neatest solution, but at least for now I've manahed to fit everything, including the tool bag under the seat.

At some point, I'll take a few photos, assuming the wires don't spring out 'Jack-in-the-box' style when I take the seat off next.

I still have to line the cameras up and want to take Talyn out for a good run in the near future, just to make sure everything works as it should.

While I'm at it, I might realign the spots as well as last time I played with them, to get the beams aligned horizontally, I didn't notice that they're now hidden behind the negine bars  :BangHead

Still, what use is a hobby if there's nothing else to do.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

London_Phil

I fitted a power distribution unit under the seat, it's an early version of Sin's one from Marks Motorcycles.
https://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,17094.0.html
Far tidier than loads of cables everywhere.
The only thing is the Marks one is bulky, and not waterproof, but half the cost of the next dearest rival.
Very useful device.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: London_Phil on February 05, 2023, 08:12:59 PMThe only thing is the Marks one is bulky, and not waterproof, but half the cost of the next dearest rival.
Very useful device.

It's a good unit for the price and if you don't mind faffing with some neoprene to keep most of the moisture out, beware it does NOT have reverse polarity protection  :BangHead
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Lee337

Had a look at the box of tricks & from what I gather, it allows you to connect multiple +ve & -ve terminals through the box so that there's only one +ve & -ve connection to the battery.

While it seems good in principle and I can see the sense in isolating all the accessories rather than wiring them direct to the battery terminals, both the camera and spots have a switched live, it's only the Satnav that doesn't and if I'm not on the bike, nor is the Satnav.

There is an issue around waterproofing which is probably not difficult to resolve but more of an issue for me is space. I'll try to remember to take  photo later of the vast amount of cables tucked away under the seat & you'll see what I mean.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

Lee337

Managed to get out to the garage before the light faded too much & took these. Not pretty but for now, it does the job.

Photo 1 is mostly the wiring for the spotlights.

Photo 2 is mostly the dashcam.

ghulst

Quote from: Lee337 on February 05, 2023, 01:00:27 PMBut I'm back now & all those little jobs that need doing, can be done, including hard wiring the Satnav and dashcams to her.

Let's just start off to say that I am happy to hear that you have had that procedure and that it has helped you get your energy back! :)

And man, have you been busy. Looking like good progress!
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

Sin_Tiger

That wiring would give many less committed owners a heart attack  :icon_lol:

Madruss

I thought this was the connections for a power commander  ;)  I had one on my previous 660 Te'ne're'  :icon_confused:
1996 Granite black Steamer, ahead of 40 odd others owned
Regards Russ
An ounce of luck is worth a ton of experience!

Lee337

Took Talyn J out for a blast at the weekend, not too far but enough to have a little fun. This time around, I had the Triumph top box on the back as I needed to take some documents in to the city (no not that one, Peterborough).

Didn't really notice the to box was there, which was nice. It's also the first time Talyn J has been through a city in my ownership. I have to say it's far easier than riding Tallulah, lighter clutch, smooth gear changes and I just LOVE the way the exhaust pops and bounces off the buildings when decelerating with the Arrow end can, something I actually missed when I changed Tallulah's end can from the standard to a Blue Flame can.  :icon_twisted:

One thing that is going to bug me is the wind noise.  :icon_sad:  I spent quite a bit of time eliminating, as much as possible the same problem with the 955i, eventually raising the screen 15mm off the fairing using spacers and fitting a cheap eBay bought wind deflector. The increase in noise between the 955i and 800XC, even with the adjustable touring screen, is noticeable. No buffeting, but even with ear plugs, just a little too noisy. The screen is set to its highest setting and just by dipping my head a few cm, it makes a high difference, so it's definitely something to work on.  :icon_scratch:

I read somewhere than lowering the screen can make a difference to the wind noise, which I'll try but then I suspect wind buffeting would be an issue, so I might start off by taking the wind deflector off Tallulah and trying that on Talyn J.

By the way, the more observant of you may have noticed that Talyn has acquired a 'J'. There's good reason for that, depending on who's asking. J is Mrs L's initial, J is also the initial of an old friend who I bumped in to recently  :augie  and J is the initial of of my recently departed friend, which is the real reason. I introduced her to the wonders of riding pillion 40 years ago and it seemed a good way of paying tribute to our friendship over the years.

So Talyn J it is then.

London_Phil

I've got a taller screen on mine, it does help

Sin_Tiger

I'm assuming that she's fitted with an early stock screen?

I'd considered cutting mine down too from early experience on highways limited to 90/ 100 kph (30 C deg temps) but I found that once the speeds got a bit higher than that  :augie  it was better in most respects. In more recent times started using a Wunderlich adjustable spoiler to good effect on a few bikes, there are plently of cheaper copies around now but the quality can vary a lot. Apart from adjustability to suit rider and changing conditions, a big benefit is no modification ease of fitting and removal.

I think I have an old standard screen in the loft if you want to experiment cutting one down.

Lee337

Thanks for the offer. The screen on Talyn J is an adjustable touring screen, so will probably have a play with it first to see what I can do.