News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Talyn's Diary

Started by Lee337, December 30, 2022, 12:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghulst

I just couldn't help but tease you with it. ;)
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

Lee337

No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

Lee337

No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

ghulst

Looking forward to it. :)

Lee337

TallyHo

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on January 03, 2023, 12:24:38 AM:wheel   :thumbsup

Mine was a pre RBW gen 1, I had similar issues with stalling easily. Punched in the TOR map of the day, which gave me the excuse to fit a Zard end can  :bad , made a very noticeable difference to city riding for me.

The 21" wheel makes a noticeable difference, the suspension setup is quite different to the cast wheel variants, I rode a friends back to back and felt more at home with the XC handling. I later spoke with a Triumph road tester at a factory event, who'd been on the development team and his comment was the XC was the better handling of the models, he just looked at me and said "budget"  ;)

Hey! How do you like the quality of the Zard? I'm looking into swapping out the OEM can for something a little different than some of the more popular brands. Thanks for the feedback in advance!

93TigerBill-2016

I had a 800XC Pre-DBW Gen 1 also, and it came with a 'Leo Vince' can - the unfortunate result was higher fuel use: 'Cos I loved the sound of it!!

I found that the 800XC with the 21" front felt the closest in handling to my '93 T400/885, especially after fitting Anakee Adventures. Found this out initially from a dealer/Triumph Ride Day covering both the 800 models when they were released, and a 1050 Sport, and confirmed in the couple of years I had it and doing a number of IBA rides.
'93 Triumph Tiger, Caspian Blue, Blue Engine Cases
132,000 km;  IBA #45911

London_Phil

Quote from: TallyHo on November 16, 2023, 10:17:11 PMHey! How do you like the quality of the Zard? I'm looking into swapping out the OEM can for something a little different than some of the more popular brands. Thanks for the feedback in advance!
I've got a GPR exhaust on mine
Its a Furore Nero, I think.

This is NOt my bike, its from Norman Hyde Website.

Its slimmer than the oem, and not too noisy, but definitely a bit more throaty. Gurgles nicely on the overun too.

ghulst

I had a Leovince on mine and really enjoyed it. I never really tracked the fuel use on it, so ignorance is bliss I guess. ;)
It had a nice sound to it, but wasn't so loud that I did not dare to take it out on an early ride. 

Lee337

MOT time for Talyn J, spent an afternoon giving her a once over, to make sure everything was as it should be.

• Lights - all work
  • Horn -nice & loud
  • Tyres - all good
  • wheels & bearings - all good too
Last couple of jobs, a good wash & brush up , clean & lube the chain and we're good to go.

So off I went to my local MOT station, I'd left the headlight protector on & was a bit worried that the beam pattern would be a little off. Turns out it made no difference - she FAILED  :bug_eye

When I got her around a year ago, she came with a full MOT. I'd had little chance to ride her in the dark so didn't notice that the headlight beam pattern was non existent. I had (wrongly) assumed that she came with LED lights fitted as standard.

I was wrong.

Turns out the LEDs and not cheap ones were after market and offered little in the way of night time vision except for those vehicles unfortunate enough to be coming in the opposite direction.  :nono  They were nice & bright though.

Back home, I had a couple of Osram Night Breaker H4 bulbs, which duly fitted I returned to the MOT station & now have an all clear for the next 12 months.

The LEDs are currently sitting on the bench while I decide what to d wit them. 

For now, Marry Xmas/holidays to all :new_xmas  :occasion14

ghulst

Nice work! There is one very good solution for cheap LED lights that have probably come from somewhere far overseas. It can be easily solved by storing them in an enclosed environment where it is dark and they are not connected up to any other appliances. That solution will allow them to keep from blinding other motorists.

It's called...

A bin.

Lee337

Turns out the LEDs were not cheap ones at almost £40 each (there are two of them)and from what I've found out, they're from the good ol' US of A.

Odd thing, now they're firmly in place in the bin, I can't seem to get them to light up  :^_^

Got Talyn J to switch her lights on in the garage earlier & while her lights aren't quite so bright, the beam is certainly more er, 'road' focussed. Maybe I'll get to test them soon as there's a ride out to Hunstabnton on New Years day I might join in with.

ghulst

I had an LED light on my GS, but that was a 100+ jobby. That actually worked well and gave more light than the halogen conversion I had on the previous GS. But at a price...

Lee337

Service time for Talyn J, the first one I've done since she came to live with me. I confess, it's been over a year since her last service & she's now done just over 18,000 miles so was due some TLC.

With the help of the 'official' Triumph service sheet, downloaded from somewhere (can't remember where), it all went pretty smoothly. There were a couple of things I didn't do, like check the plugs and change the chain rubbing strip (although I did check it) as these were done during the last service 2,500 miles ago by Muddysump.

Aside from the oil & filter change she needed little else, even the chain needed only a clean & re-lube, no adjustment. She does have a Scottoiler fitted which I really should set up properly again. I spent ages last year getting the flow rate just right but on my trip to the ABR festival last June, turned the flow rate off as it was spraying oil over the rear wheel, probably as I'd set it up when it was cold making the oil a bit gloopy and by June it was hot so the oil was more fluid.

It's one of those vacuum operated oilers rather than the electronic ones, so a bit of a pain to adjust properly. Maybe I'll look at it again later in the year & before I set off on my annual grand tour of the West Country & Wales in June, but for now, I'll rely on manually cleaning & oiling the chain.

Thought about upgrading to an electronic one but they're in excess of £200 for a Scottoiler, although I'm sure other ones do exist. I made my own oiler which is on Tabitha Trophy which works well enough, but the flow adjustment is still a manual thing, so I'll just stick to the basic Scottoiler Talyn J already has.

I always thought that the side stand was a little wobbly but having checked the bolt, it was always nice & tight, so just assumed all was as it should be. Turns out it wasn't. While checking for oil leaks after a quick run up the road & back, I had Talyn J on a paddock stand and noticed that the centre stand seemed a little loose. There are two bolts on the left that hold both the centre and side stand bracket to the frame, both these were finger tight once I'd put a socket on them. Not certain how long the bracket had been loose, as I said, the side stand has been like it since I've had her, but having tightened up those two bolts, the side stand is now less wobbly, not as tight as Tallulah's but much better than it was.

So with a fresh MOT and service now done, she's good for another year. I'm hoping this year to do a little more than the 2,400 miles she did last year. At least my health scare is now pretty much resolved, so I have no real excuse this year t get out & about.

I recently inherited a fairly decent camera and having more than one quick release tank bag, have modified it to carry my camera, a telephoto lens and a few other related bits, I'm hoping to get out there & hone my admittedly lacking photography skills.

YouTube does have it's uses after all.  :occasion14

London_Phil

Mines at nearly 24K and I didn't actually believe Triumph checked the shims at the alleged 12K service.
For some strange reason, I'll do almost anything on the bike except touch the shims. It causes no issues, and unless I can persuade Muddy Sump to come and just check them, I'm leaving them alone..
I have a vac operated Scott-oiler with dual injectors, and it seems fine.