News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger Crashworthiness

Started by Speed3guy, August 13, 2005, 02:17:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speed3guy

Here's an excerpt from my lat big trip report over on ADVrider.

Has anyone else experienced this?

"The Tiger and the SV both performed flawlessly.  Mer has traveled on the SV a lot, but this was my first trip over 500 miles on the Tiger.  Of note with the Tiger, is its lack of crashworthiness without saddlebags.  3 days before the trip, the Tiger blew over in the parking lot at work.  This bent the right passenger peg and saddlebag mount in a bit.  I had to take off the bodywork and bend the peg bracket back out.  When I dropped the bike in the rainforest, the right rear peg dug into the ground and bent outward.  It was bad enough to crush the tube that it is welded to on the subframe.  I had to remove the left front saddlebag mount in order to install the bag.  After I got home, I was able to fix it by grinding the rear footpeg bracket welds and removing the bracket.  I then straightened the bracket and had it welded back on at a local shop.  I was able to match the paint on the frame and the problem is gone for now.  IÌve decided to keep the bags on full time now, since dropping the bike without them seems to bend the subframe, which is welded to the frame.  Not a small item to replace.  It looks like Jesse bags might be in order in the future, since they not only absorb some energy and lessen the fall, but actually beef up the subframe and rear peg mount a bit.  The Touratech crashbars have done a fantastic job of protecting the front of the bike both times itÌs been down. "

Here's a photo of the bent peg bracket right after it happened.  Sorry I don't have a closeup.

Also of note, I've put 7200 miles on the Tiger in the 4.5 months I've owned it and it's still the best, most well rounded bike I've ever owned.  I rode a V-Strom last weekend, and wouldn't dream of trading my Tiger for the thing.  However, I think the owner of the Strom is now considering the Tiger.  Of note was the fact that the Tiger appeared to have a better low end, and more power pretty much everywhere.  All of this while being smoother too.

The full trip report is over on ADVrider Here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91402

Ignore the inflamatory title--It has generated a lot of views though.

Cheers,

G

BykBoy

It's not the Tiger, it's the crash bars you have. Sure they look good and they may slide well on pavement, but they don't give you enough ground clearence.

Thet's why I prefer the Thunderbike crash bar design. It really keeps most of the side of the bike up in the air when the big cat tips over.  I have no fear of dropping the bike on any surface. These crash bars are gong to protect it every time... And I can live with the way the look...
2001 Black 955i Tiger

Save $5 when you open a SmugMug account. Use the following coupon: 4l1hicJzWvYNE