News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tennis Serve Rule???

Started by ozzey100, April 04, 2023, 05:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozzey100

Hello everyone! I know this is a ride/bike forum, but I wanted to start a discussion on a general topic that's been on my mind lately, table tennis serve rules.

As someone who enjoys playing table tennis in their free time, I've been reading up on the various rules and regulations of the game. https://pingpongacademy.org/table-tennis-serve-rule/ One rule that's been particularly interesting to me is the serve rule, which dictates how a player must serve the ball to their opponent.

For those who may not be familiar, the serve rule in table tennis states that the ball must be held in the open palm of the server's hand, which must be above the level of the playing surface. The ball must then be thrown upwards at least 6 inches and struck so that it first bounces on the server's side of the table and then clears the net and bounces on the opponent's side.

I find this rule to be fascinating because it's not always easy to enforce, and there's a lot of debate among players and officials about what constitutes a legal serve. Some players try to add spin to the ball, while others may throw it at different angles or heights.

So, what are your thoughts on the table tennis serve rule? Do you think it's a fair rule, or do you think it could be improved? And have you ever had any experiences with a player who violated the rule in a game?

Nick Calne

Well that's right out of nowhere.  You know what I don't think I'll click the link.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Tiger-G

I've played TT....very badly, at the lowest possible level of skill.......

But even from my poor level of ability it was obvious you could put all sorts of spin on the ball by having it covered in your hand as opposed to how the rules state you should have it. It's harder to put spin on the ball by  serving it as per the rules  :^_^   
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Madruss

Quote from: Tiger-G on April 06, 2023, 10:40:19 AMI've played TT....very badly, at the lowest possible level of skill.......

But even from my poor level of ability it was obvious you could put all sorts of spin on the ball by having it covered in your hand as opposed to how the rules state you should have it. It's harder to put spin on the ball by  serving it as per the rules  :^_^ 
Yes "ball spin" on serve was one my late fathers' tricks if we were ever "getting ontop" of his score. ;)
Haven't played since my boys were in high school & they're in their in mid 30's now
:icon_rolleyes:
1996 Granite black Steamer, ahead of 40 odd others owned
Regards Russ
An ounce of luck is worth a ton of experience!