News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Swingarms....newer one on spoke model?

Started by panicky1, May 18, 2023, 01:04:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

panicky1

Good day all, I just picked up my first Tiger and it is an '01 spoke wheel model but with a cracked swingarm at the pinch bolt. I can get a used replacement off ebay, but was wondering if I could use the spoke wheel swingarm instead as that pinch bolt issue is something I would like to not see again. Is this doable? Would I need different spacers, axle, etc?

Sin_Tiger

I don't know the answer to fitting the later swing arm to an earlier frame (I guess you meant alloy wheel?)

I do know they have been welded successfully, that also happens to Steamers and T300's which also use that swing arm. Too many people are averse to using a torque wrench  :icon_rolleyes:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

panicky1

Yes, oops. I meant to ask if the later swingarm from the cast wheel model would fit up to a spoke wheel early 995, and if it needed all the extra bits (axle/spacers/etc). I can find a used spoke swingarm but I have bought 2 triumphs in my life and both had cracks in the same spot from 'enthusiastic' mechanics... I just feel this is a weak design and I want to avoid using it if possible.

Sin_Tiger

It is a weak point for  :icon_rolleyes:  mechanics, you could say the same about stripped head bolts if they get over tightened, the same design was used on quite a few makes and models of Japanese bikes of the same period with similar results  ;)

I'd suggest considering all the parts you might need to change compared taking it off and getting a professional repair.

1 - It won't happen again because you know how to do it properly.
2 - You'll have rebuilt your suspension linkage, always a good thing on a bike that you're not sure of the history.
3 - It'll still be stock if you ever sell it, people are always wary of buying "modified" machines.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

panicky1

These are all valid points you make. I guess my biggest concern is the repair - I would always feel uncertain that it would hold, and frankly it would be tough to do a clean job on such a small, stressed spot. As far as resale, well, the it probably wouldn't make much difference as it is still a Triumph part - just a later one. I will have the rear apart and service everything anyway when fixing this, I just was wondering whether the differences between the spoke and cast wheel assemblies are enough that this would be a pain to do or if it is a bolt-together swap. The cast wheel swingarms appear more plentiful on ebay than the spoke ones..
I'm hoping someone who has seen this/knows someone/has a link to a page, can chime in..

Sin_Tiger

I was hoping you'd have had a bit more help on that front too  :icon_scratch:

I'm assumimg that you'll be retaining the original spoked wheel?

I have no idea if the shock linkage differed between models but why would they?

The axle will certainly be different but if you're lucky it might just be an axle, adjusters, brake caliper hanger and axle spacers.

It might be worth spending a bit of time on World of Triumph parts pages  :icon_study:  comparing part numbers. The Daytona & ST Sprint of the same vintage had Single Sided Swing Arms but the RS Sprint also had a U type arm similar to the Tiger, that might be worth comparing too

panicky1

So I think i'm going to stick with original - a swap would need several extra parts that would not come with the bare swingarms being sold on ebay. There are a few stock spoke wheel swingarms for sale - just going to buy one and get on with it...

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: panicky1 on May 22, 2023, 03:49:02 AMjust going to buy one and get on with it...

:thumbsup  Good luck with it, you'll have a nice clean free suspension in no time  ;)

Lee337

Original is best. I was going to sell my 06 955i & had it up for what I considered a reasonable price. I had 3 potential buyers, all who offered me 60% of the asking price as it had an engine change 14 years & 40k miles ago.

I think you made the right choice.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.