News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Trip to Italy

Started by MARKC, August 27, 2005, 01:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MARKC

I will be travelling to see family in Castrocielo in Italy. I will be riding from Calais to Riberac near Bordeaux to see family there on the way.

As this will be my first trip any tips and advice from more experienced forum members would be greatly appreciated.

holland1

hmm great trip!   I'll dive into my archive  to see if i saved some nice routes. I assume you are going to avoid toll-highways?  

generally  i think the police is more laid back than in the UK, so no stress on the way.

after you've "done"bordeaux i suggest you take the "route de napoleon" to italy.  when are you leaving?
gas is alles

MARKC

I'll be setting off on September 5th

doug

First of all carry the absolute minimum. Spare space in the top box or panniers is useful for picking up things on route ie. food drinks etc.

Get a tank bag, if for nothing else it's great for your map, and most have a small pocket for glasses, change etc.

Use A roads, they're really good in France and avoid boring motorways.

I find leathers too hot and prefer my Frank Thomas Aqua jacket as it lets plenty of air through on a hot day, this also saves carrying wet weather gear if you ride in leathers.

Take a phrase book, trying to ask for a bulb or tyre etc isn't in most peoples French vocabulary.

Most of all take your time and enjoy the ride.
Ride Safe

MARKC

Thanks Doug,

I plan to travel light and find B&B where I can (cheap).

Coicidentally I use Frank Thomas Aqua gear

I've done the Dover run numerous times and it is the section of the trip I will be glad to get over and done with

I'll post some pictures when I get back