News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Should i buy a Tiger?

Started by waltconrad, September 03, 2005, 08:09:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waltconrad

I need a Bike  for commuting and putting around S Nevada Las Vegas /Henderson. The dirt and gravel roads here are endless. I test rode the old 2004 model and liked it aside from the exhaust heat roasting my leg. I've had a Kaw w650 in the shop for the last 2 years and have given up trying to get the dealer to fix it properly. The Tiger looks to be a popular model not headed for extinction like the W650 is in the USA,Support has dried up for the W here. Is the Tiger a well built bike,is it expensive to maintain,can it handle dirt roads? I've heard of very bad problems developing if the Tiger is dropped on the wrong side,any info on this? My truck took a $hite so i really need some wheels pronto. I would be much abliged for any information You could give me ,Thanks.
"Love means never having to say your sorry." Richard M. Nixon.

Brock

Sounds like you need a Tiger mate.

All the answers to your questions are on this site. Don't expect us to be unbiased though!
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

apache

Thats a tough question due to each mans own opinion. $$ wise you cant beat one. comparing it to a BMW, (not taking anything away from them) but in these parts there pretty pricy. Sounds like one would fit the bill for you. Parts are a little tough, and some dealers suck basically. Its unfortunate but overseas big Duallies are the norm, here in the states they like the red haeded bastard child of bikes. I do fire roading on mine, daeth Valley type stuff, something like  Gohler wash is a go. Like any big heavy bike with plastic panels, yes, crashing can be costly. Get some crash bars, some TKC`s and have at it. I dont think you`ll be dissapointed.

Green Lantern

I just bought an 05 and it is awesome. After the second ride around the hood I knew I had the right bike. I got it on August 30 and am currently breaking it in...and will be for a while.

Since May of this year I have been doing two things with my free time: 1) Test riding motorcycles. 2) Reading the threads.

I highly suggest you do the same.  The threads will tell you everything the dealer won't. And test riding the bike will tell you everything else.

Good luck.

waltconrad

I took a 180 mile test ride on a 2004 tiger and i liked it except for alot of exhaust heat on my leg, has anyone else noticed this? there is a 2004 tiger for sale here for $9,200. It's the  demo I rode  with 1800 miles on it and a year left on the warranty.

bretzg

I got my 2005 Tiger a couple months ago and it is by far, the funnest bike I've ever owned. I live in Phoenix, AZ and while it's been a tad too hot for riding, I've had mine on a few dirt/gravel roads and it does great. It is a tall bike and takes some getting used to but once you're on it, you'll like sitting up high and the extra visibility it offers. I just put a Corbin seat on mine but can't tell you how much I'll like it as I haven't had the chance to put any miles on it. I have a Corbin on my Kawasaki Concours and love it so sure this one will be good as well. I put the Touratech bars on mine and a Bagster tank cover that I got from Bike Johnny's in England. It fits great, looks good and should help on the inevitable lay down on a dirt road. All in all, I can't say enough good things about the bike. I got an extended service contract from the Triumph dealer I bought mine from just in case I have any problems but so far so good.
gary b

waltconrad

I'm sipping a wee dram of Laphroaig and spring water in celebration of my new black 04 Tiger, It's a quatem leap up from any other bike I've had.not that I've had any thing to brag about. I took a cab to the dealer with all my dusty gear, paid the non negotiable $9,200+$750 sales tax  and road out to Vally of Fire via Lake Mead N.shore drive. The lake road has some nicely engineered curves,but VOF is basically a paved goat track that will give you bad adreanalin rushes at low speed. I got a centerstand and top case in the mail,but the parts guy couldn't find engine guards,who makes them?I'm probably going to spend $75 for progressive springs to tame the front fork dive,Has anyone tried them? The wind shield gets pretty small over 60 mph,and I could have cooked a potroast on my legs,but that heat will be welcome all winter long. The seat is not the greatest,i like to be able to move around and your pretty much stuck in one spot on it.i have an airhawk rubber airpad that may lessen the butt pain. The Tiger really handles the crappy pavement well and holds up under my fat 220# a$$ without sagging,something a 650 wouldn't be up to. I like to lean in the curves and this bike does it easily with out inducing fear,brakes seem to work very well i'm very religious about good brakes. Passing on My W650 was a real stratagy game, had to wring the $hite out of it to get any headway. It's not much of a challenge to pass with the Tiger ,just crack the trottle and bingo. It looks like i will have to put off retirement for another 26 years, i hope the bike lasts that long. Time for another dram ,Cheers Mates!

greg

Good on you for splashing out on a Tiger. You will just get to like it more and more.
2004 Girly.

waltconrad

I took another ride out to VOF to get the bike sorted out.My Fox racing socks compleatly solved the leg roasting. An Airhawk pad took alot of pain out of the seat and my gel vest Kept me from getting heat stroke. I ride with full face mask,visor down and full  gear. I see riders dragging thier girl friends into the rest stops with tank top ,shorts,tennis shoes and novalty helmets.They all look like they want to die. I guess the reserve is just a notch on the gas gage.I could't find a fuel petcock and i didn't stall when the needle went into reserve. Once I figure out how to get the seat off I'll look at the manual if it's under  there. it' should get down to m90F next month,thank God. Time for a well earned whisky, salute.