News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Buell Uylsses

Started by Dick Boyer, August 30, 2005, 04:16:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dick Boyer

Had a good look at the Ulysses today and have to admit I really liked it. I own an 04 Tigger but that Buell is calling me. Will keep you posted after a test ride. Talk me out of it!

apache

I didnt look close at the first pic I saw but it looked like the final drive was belt type. If this is the case come look at my HD belt and sprockets after 4 years of driving down my dirt road at a cautious 2 mph.

But on the other hand I prefer twins of any type, Im still wating to get my hands on a Ural with the sidehack.

BigDave

I hope your riding plans do not include anything more than the cleanest dirt roads.

SIBBO

WOW this is the firsr time i have seen this machine and i really like it  8) .

Its got GS looks with what looks like tiger size and weight

Its gotta to be the yellow and grey

Any performance write ups yet ?

SIBBO

morton_chad

I was at copper mountain a couple of weeks ago and buell had 2 for demo riding and another one on display with saddle bags. It was nice looking and a good first effort for Buell, however here are some intersting tid bits.

1) Buell still doesn't have a fuel gauge on any bike. This is shortsighted given the intention of the bike. 2) The wheelbase is extremely short. With a single rider on the bike, it appeared as if he was right above the rear wheel. I didn't see anyone two up, but I would imagine the sight and resulting handling to be awkward. 3) The gas tank is only a smidge over 4 gallons. While the sportster motor gets great mileage (50ish), 4 gallons is small. 5) While the package is first rate, the motor continues to be a disappointment. It has a narrow powerband (compared to the triumph) and I don't find it nearly as fun. 6)The final drive is not the same as on current Harleys. The belt is of different (more resilient material) and was subjected to "offraod testing" during product testing. Two items I will give buell credit for are 1) I'm sure it will have more accessories available after 6 months of production than the tiger has after 10years and 2) Per Eric Buell, the current motor meets 2007 emission requirements without a catalyst. This is mind boggling given that it is an air cooled motor with only 2 valves. This goes completely against all the logic that other manufactures are producing. If Buell can do it, why can't BMW, or any other manufacturer? My stand...I will keep my tiger and ride my dad's Buell (S3T) when I want to be reminded how good my tiger is.

robbo

I like the looks and the engine but with a 16ltr fuel tank I hope your not planning any long trips.
best Regards

Robbo

kev187

I had a chance to sit on the buell & it appears very comfortable & stable.  I previously owned a buell X1, I loved riding it & the endine is just incredible.. but.. at 4800 miles I had a brake master cyclinder self destruct, oil leak from the rear head, & oil leak from the primary.  I loved the bike, too much fun to ride, but Buells seem to self destruct at about 25K miles.  Everyone tells me the new XB based Buells are so much more reliable, but I have yet to see it proven real world.. anyone seen any firebolts or lightnings out there with 50K miles on them yet?  As nice as the Ulysses looks, for a touring bike that will stack up the miles, I wonder if the new Buell can take the high milage?  

Although, one month old Triumph Tiger has spent the last 2 weeks in the shop with issues & there is no end in sight, at least my buell never left me stranded... with my current feelings towards triumph, I am sort of wishing I had that URAL sidecar hack, since I was seriously looking at one.  At least I could have worked on it myself~