News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Loose ignition switch

Started by tigerpa, September 01, 2005, 12:49:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigerpa

hi all

first posting for me......too bad it has to be a maintenance question ....bought the 05 tiger in july, trading in my thunderbird....what a fun bike to ride....and the rubber neckers trying to figure out what the heck kind of bike i'm riding.....it's hard to keep the smile off my face that's for sure....

my question is how do you tighten up the two mounting bolts for the ignition switch....the nuts seem to be recessed into a keeper from what little i can see under there.....haven't had a bit of trouble with the bike other than that with only 1500 miles on it......

NortonCharlie

The stock bolts are a break away type, the head breaks off when you tighten them so they cannot be removed easily.  My 01 had one of the bolts loosen up and I was able to screw it out by hand.  The second one took a couple of runs in 3rd gear to a ton and back and the vibration loosened it up.  I then replaced them with stainless pan head screws.  I guess a thief could remove my ignition switch with an allen wrench but my switch is now tight.  Triumph had a problem with this in 01 and early 02,  I guess they must have someone new putting in the switches or a bad set of bolts.

Did this help?
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

tigerpa

thanks NortonCharlie

couldn't quite figure out how they were tightened...what you say makes sense to my cranium now...will have to give the bike a good thrashing to make her loosen her grip on the switch

Tigerpa