News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Chain adjustment

Started by waltconrad, September 22, 2005, 08:20:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iansoady

Quote from: tigerhundI try not to look down at my chain for too terribly long while riding.....

Yes I remember years ago with a ratty old C15 looking down at the back wheel for some reason & it made me so dizzy I fell over!! Even more embarrassing than falling over with the Tiger in a supermarket car park.....
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

kraftdinners

Just to confirm, now I set the chain to 45 - 50 mill , nearer the 50, the chain whine has gone and all seems happy...so Triumphs specs are well out of order..

Foxy

I'm impressed that chain tension can be so much of a topic for discussion. I have never measured chain slack on any bike I've ever owned - a little wiggle of the chain with a spanner and if it looks okay it probably is. It's worked for the last twenty thousand miles on my current chain.

kraftdinners

Quote from: "Foxy"I'm impressed that chain tension can be so much of a topic for discussion. I have never measured chain slack on any bike I've ever owned - a little wiggle of the chain with a spanner and if it looks okay it probably is. It's worked for the last twenty thousand miles on my current chain.

Well after taking delivery of the bike and checking things out as I always do, ( oil was a pint over filled for instance ) and then finding the chain adjustment not in spec with what Triumph state, I readjusted it, but thanks to this Forum I have since found out the handbook was incorrect.

djr

QuoteI have never measured chain slack on any bike I've ever owned - a little wiggle of the chain with a spanner and if it looks okay it probably is. It's worked for the last twenty thousand miles on my current chain.

maybe you've just been lucky, but given the damage a chain can do, not only to the bike but the rider as well if something goes amiss, I will continue to take time to set it up properly!

Mudhen

Quote from: "djr"maybe you've just been lucky, but given the damage a chain can do, not only to the bike but the rider as well if something goes amiss, I will continue to take time to set it up properly!

Hey, I resemble that...

I rode my '96 yesterday for the first time in a month and a half after my little chain incident...new front sprocket cover, clutch pushrod, pushrod seal, gearchange seal, sprockets, chain, chain slider, slider block, a couple quarts of oil - oh, and a nice ride on a flatbed.

Looking back at it I learned a lot about what to look for.  I never knew what 'tight spots' in chains were...and even though I'd read 'when tensioning the chain check it at several spots' I'd never done it.  Now I know why...
\'96 Steamer

zombie

Quote from: "kraftdinners"Just to confirm, now I set the chain to 45 - 50 mill , nearer the 50, the chain whine has gone and all seems happy...so Triumphs specs are well out of order..

I did the same and me bike is really happy now  and me also

cheers

kraftdinners

If Triumph had got the correct bloody info in the handbook then all the folks here would never had mentioned chain problems, and thank Christ via this excellent forum we all found out in time, never had a chain break on me and I dont want to find out what destruction is caused by one letting go....

Cheers and beers

greg

Just had mine readjusted at service by local dealer, it has been done correctly i.e. not by the book, so obviously they have a bit of common sense, or perhaps they found out the hard way.
2004 Girly.

kraftdinners

Quote from: "greg"Just had mine readjusted at service by local dealer, it has been done correctly i.e. not by the book, so obviously they have a bit of common sense, or perhaps they found out the hard way.

Hi Greg,  your probably right, but having a near extra pint of oil in the motor ( I reckon "they" just dropped the dipstick in the hole and took the reading instead of screwing it in ) so upon checking the chain specs I assumed they cocked that up as well.....thank heavens I (we) found out it was incorrect..

Cheers Alan

Clemski

The best way is to fit a scotoiler, the only time my chain gets adjusted is when the bike goes in for a service and the first set of chain and sprockets lasted 16000 miles. :P
Just love riding my Tiger, anywhere and everywhere.

Sofalofa2005

Speaking of Scottoilers... when I picked up my bike a few weeks ago I had one fitted before I picked it up... It was empty when I picked it up so after I'd filled it was disturbed that it had dumped its contents within 100 miles and left oil spots all over the floor whenever I parked up.

Rang the dealer and it turned out it had been set to "prime" and someone had forgotten to tell me that once the oil is flowing you have to put it onto one of the main settings (1,2,3 etc).

What's the best setting to save me having to experiment? I have it on "2" at the moment

Thanks

Clemski

Number 2 is the best setting for normal weather, if it starts raining turn it up to quite a high setting as the rain washes the oil off. But as soon as the weather dries up, dont forget to turn it back down.

Cheers  :P
Just love riding my Tiger, anywhere and everywhere.

Sofalofa2005

Nice one, thanks mate