News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

The Chain Thang

Started by dancope, September 23, 2005, 03:41:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dancope

I have an '04 Black Tiger with 24,000 miles.  My brother has the same miles on his, both bought winter of '04,  and both of us have worn out our front spockets and chains.  This is with liberal use of the lube.  I was wondering how long most ppl can ride between chain changes, and also is there any belt drive conversions out there.  Please help a couple of hard-riding Okies.  Thanks

NortonCharlie

24,000 is pretty good for a chain.  I got about 18,000 out of my 1st one, but you may as well count on changing the sprockets and chain together.  I'm on my 4th chain and 3rd set of sprockets at 62,000 miles.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

djr

Fit a pro-oiler and its the same as having a belt drive. just the occassional check to make sure all is well and fill the oil container every six months or so.

dancope

well it sounds like I will try a scottoiler with my next set, hopefully that will do the trick. thanks for the input.

I've just gone past 28500 miles on my original chain. I fitted a new front sprocket at 24000 to change to a 19 tooth. The original front was reasonably hooked and it maybe an idea to change the front sprocket at 15K anyway. It's had a Scottoiler from new. I will change chain and sprockets when I get back from a late summer/autumn trip to South Portugal when the bike will have around 33000 miles on the clock, for peace of mind really.