News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Scrambler 54hp?

Started by kev187, October 19, 2005, 09:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kev187

I love the new scrambler, what a fun all around modern classic!

Anyone know why the scrambler only puts out 54hp & 50lbs while the Thruxton & T-100 put out 69hp & 53lbs using the same 865cc engine?  54hp seems a bit light for a nearly 500lb bike?  Its posted right on Triumphs own specs & various other sources?

Anyway~ I think its a great looking little bike that will get some attention, even if it isnt getting that attention for its accelleration?

greg

Having recently ridden a Bonneville I'll eat my hat if it had more than 54bhp! I think the reason these bikes have such low power and soft (Pathetic) delivery is that buyers of these machines are not exactly young tearaways, just riders who like to bimble around in summer then spend all winter polishing and adding accessories (More weight you see, even slower). Not that I have anything against this type of machine, it's just that I still have a pulse.
2004 Girly.

smartin

The Bonneville has the 790cc unlike the 865cc in the Thruxton, T100, and Scrambler.  Perhaps the difference on the Scrambler HP is due to the 270 degree crank.  This 270 degree engine is the same one used on the Speedmaster cruiser which seems like an odd choice. They may have used a different cam profile than the 360 degree 865cc.

Foxy

Quote from: "greg"Having recently ridden a Bonneville I'll eat my hat if it had more than 54bhp! I think the reason these bikes have such low power and soft (Pathetic) delivery is that buyers of these machines are not exactly young tearaways, just riders who like to bimble around in summer then spend all winter polishing and adding accessories (More weight you see, even slower). Not that I have anything against this type of machine, it's just that I still have a pulse.

54 is what a healthy stock 790 Bonnie puts out at the back wheel. Quite readily modified to produce a much better power delivery - part of the reason for the stock delivery feeling a bit flat is the way the limiter is set only very slightly above peak power output. Raise the rev limit, free up the breathing and sort the carbs out properly and you'll get low-mid sixties at the rear wheel. The 865 motor actually has a softer cam profile and I gather the 360 degree crank motors feel alot better than the 790. Quite why the 270 crank motors put out so much less power is beyond me. Speaking as a young tearaway who bought a 790 Bonnie I can assure you it is perfectly possible to whip the arse off someone on a lardy tourer like a Tiger :)

kev187

Well, different cranks & what not are all interesting subject topics?  But still, what benefit was triumph looking for in reducing the power output by about 18% on the scrambler than the other 865cc motors?  Just seems sort of backwards thinking to come out with a new bike, use the same 69hp motor as its other biks, but then change the engine to only produce 54hp?  Odd...

djr

why do you find this so odd?

The Tiger uses basically the same engine as the Daytona and is down 50bhp!

There is a lot more to any bike than pure hp figures. Frame, brakes, suspension all need to be taken into consideration as well as the target market and intended use.

greg

I am glad the Bonneville does only produce 54bhp or I would be munching on my hat right now.
2004 Girly.

djr is right. HP does not matter so much as things like gearing and torque.

Also, the 270 degree crank will give a "big bang" effect as it mimics a "V" twin, so will give more drive/grip off road (if it ever gets used off road).

Mudhen

I love the look of it...and I'd love to get one to off road.  But those numbers scare me.  I'd put up with the 450lbs off road, but I bet I couldn't live with the 54hp on road.  Regardless of what torque it has off the line.

I realize it's no long distance cruiser, but it has to have some semblance of on road performance to keep it fun for me, and to make the 450 struggle in the dirt worth it.

But I sure as heck am going to give it a try!  And if the different stage performance tunes are available, it would be a blast to play with modifying it up!

Speaking of tight chains...these guys must not have seen the memo yet that they're not supposed to follow their own numbers... :lol:
\'96 Steamer

Another thing is that those figures are very similar to the original BMW R80GS. Look how many people have gone round the world on those.

Fact is, you don't need big power for travelling. You need something that is manageable and reliable. OK the Scrambler could be a bit lighter, but maybe it's been built good and strong.

I'm willing to give it a try. I just hope the steering geometry is a good compromise between road and dirt.