News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rear Tire Shot

Started by Bliker, October 02, 2005, 12:50:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bliker

I'm replacing my rear tire at 7,300 miles. It's the Metz Tourance. I probably could get another 1000 miles if I really pushed it, but not worth the risk, in my opinion. I have a 1,200 mile trip on the Tiger in a couple of weeks, another reason for the change. Does that sound about like the average miles for replacement.
2004 Tiger

NortonCharlie

I've gottten about 10,000 out of each of my Tourances.  I ran one to about 12,000 and was into the wear markers.  I couldn't believe how thin the tire was.  I think a thumb tack would have puctured it.  7500 seems a little short,  but if you brake heavy with the rear I could see it.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Foxy

Bloody hell, I guess my 900 must be more powerful, never got more than 5000 miles out of a rear :)

Or are Tourances hard as plastic?

Quote from: "Foxy"Bloody hell, I guess my 900 must be more powerful, never got more than 5000 miles out of a rear :)

Or are Tourances hard as plastic?

Tourances wear very well for the grip they give which is exceptional. A really good tyre IMHO. I get 8K out of a rear 12K front.

greg

I have just reached 7k on Tourances, an easy 2k left to go but will be replacing sooner with something more road orientated as I have had one hell of a scare under very heavy braking, both ends went, not impressed, they just let go, others have reported this aswell. I am absolutely certain this would not have happened with a road tyre, which is why I found it so alarming.
2004 Girly.

fastslug

i'm with foxy, after 2,500 miles on my 900, my rear tourance is shot - but i can squeeze another 2000 out of it, although the performance is not as good

Patrick the Scot

7-8000 miles on a rear Metz Tour.?  Sounds about like the Michelin Anakee. I've got 6200 miles on yhe Anakee and it's time is short.  I might get 7500.  8000 it will be bald.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

Quote from: "greg"I have had one hell of a scare under very heavy braking, both ends went,

It's called a "two wheel drift" or "backing it in". All part of the fun old boy! :wink:

I've never had the front give. The back is quite often locked because there's no wieght on it when the front is buried 6" into the tarmac! :shock:

Let me add something here, about tyre wear. It does depend a lot on what the roads are made of.

i.e. around here...south England, a lot of the roads are smooth tarmac or very worn. Which aids drying after rain.  

When I visited New Zealand last year I noticed that all the roads had a very knobbly top dressing. Which makes a lot of noise.

Now, obviously, the knobbly surface is going to wear a tyre more.

So there. It's not always about being a poof with the throttle.

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "Blacktiger"It does depend a lot on what the roads are made of.

i.e. around here...south England, a lot of the roads are smooth tarmac or very worn. Which aids drying after rain.  

When I visited New Zealand last year I noticed that all the roads had a very knobbly top dressing. Which makes a lot of noise.

Now, obviously, the knobbly surface is going to wear a tyre more.

So there. It's not always about being a poof with the throttle.

I would disagree to the extent that stating that a bigger aggregate in the paving surface equalls more tire wear.  If the "knobbly top dressing" is made of a slick surface river rock such as dolomite or flint and bound together with some sort of bituminous asphaltum, then the tire wear would be low compared to a very smooth, yet grippy, hot mix asphalt with a high content of sand granite aggregate.  Some of the slickest roads in Texas are the "knobbly" ones.  The smoothest are the super-slabs made out cementous concrete paving, yet they have the must aggressive "tooth" wet or dry, on microscopic level.  These concrete super-slabs are the worst on wear on truck tires and I would assume as well for motos.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Foxy

I was thinking about my tyre wear.....and checked back through my paperwork. I'm ashamed to say my current tyres have lasted over 8500 miles :(

They are finally getting to the end of their useful life though, but that is the most life I have ever got from a rear tyre. Metzeler Enduro 4s btw.

tigerjohn

I changed my rear Tourance at 7500 just before a run through France - probably would have done another 500-1000 miles even though it was quite squared off. About 40% of my riding is with a pillion which probably shortens tyre life - even if she ain't that heavy!

ridin gaijin

My rear Anakee is just about done in at 5300 miles. It has maybe another thousand in it still, but I'm going to the last RAT thingie in Arkansas tomorrow (a lo-ong ride as I stay off the Interstates) and I'll seek a new one in Dallas/Fort Worth. After weighing various options I'm going with another Anakee. I've been happy with its performance on & off road, in all kinds of horrible weather, and at considerable speed. (FWIW I hardly use the rear brake at all and when safe to do so will ride fairly aggressively.)
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

Patrick the Scot

Glad to have you back, Ridin'!