News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

SPark Plugs !!!!

Started by russ_fae_fyvie, October 07, 2005, 08:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

russ_fae_fyvie

I have been riding bikes since 1976, always done as much mechanicing as I can and never had much problem, until now !

I feel really stupid becasue I can't find where the bloody spark plugs are on my 2003 Tiger !

There is no mention of them in any of the handbooks, even the official Triumph Manual doesn't mention them, so where the hell are they !!!

This is driving me mad so please put an old man out of his misery !!!

PLEASE !!!!

:(

Foxy

On the end of the HT leads, under the coils. They are quite deeply recessed, but there's nothing out of the ordinary.

davensocal

On my '00 tiger I had to remvoe the fuel tank and the airbo before I could see the coils.  The plugs are under the coils (one coil per cylinder).  

The middle one is quite difficult to get out, and you may need a thin wall socket to get in there at all.  I had to purchase a socket just for this purpose (from Mac tools, it was not a "thin wall", but it was thinner than ordinary).

I literally flagged down a Mac tools truck and coaxed him into selling me the socket.

Good luck!  Also, make sure the boots are really clean when you are done, I had some residue on one boot that led to missing at idle speeds.

russ_fae_fyvie

Thanks guys, I can't believe its such a big job, luckily my tank is already off but if it wasn't thats one hell of a job just to change the plugs !

I think Triumph have made an error there, I mean changing plugs are supposed to be one of the easiest jobs for us home mechanics, perhaps they want us to spend £35/hr at their dealers instead for the priviledge !

:evil:

davensocal

I understand your point, but it doesn't bother me..  

#1- They packed a lot into a fairly small bike, so it is to be expected

#2- It's Fuel Injected, so you really shouldn't need to be in there all that often.

#3- I always feel better after I have taken part and re-assembled something.  I just feel I can do a better job than the 20 yr old "expert" at the dealership, and that I can trust the work that I did.  So I really enjoy spending an afternoon providing TLC for my baby :)

#4- Like you, I also try to do the work myself.  My motto is "I can fu*k it up for free, why would I pay you to fu*k it up?"

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "davensocal"#3- I always feel better after I have taken part and re-assembled something.  I just feel I can do a better job than the 20 yr old "expert" at the dealership, and that I can trust the work that I did.  So I really enjoy spending an afternoon providing TLC for my baby :)

#4- Like you, I also try to do the work myself.  My motto is "I can fu*k it up for free, why would I pay you to fu*k it up?"

Dave, you must of used the same pot-smokin mechanics that I used down in Austin. No wait, we have a whole nation full of worthless pot-smokin 20 year olds. My bad.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

NortonCharlie

QuoteDave, you must of used the same pot-smokin mechanics that I used down in Austin. No wait, we have a whole nation full of worthless pot-smokin 20 year olds. My bad.

Yea, I'd rather do it myself, then smoke pot!
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando