News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Pick up new 2006 Tiger after 8 years 50k miles on steamer!

Started by Lummox, September 21, 2005, 01:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lummox

Hiyer troops!

Ive had an 885 Tiger since early 1997 and have done 50,000 trouble free miles (apart from new pickup and coils and the odd new chain here and there). My old Tigers front end was a bit "boingy" and as I am 6' 3" 23 stone strongman it was really notiable. I put in triple rate springs and thicker oil and it sorted it. Had the rear susp cranked up for 2 up and it handled like a dream.

Test rode the 2006 Tiger last week and guess what "boingy" front suspension!

Ere we go again! I thought they sorted that on the new ones?

Same again? new springs and oil? Is it still a common problem with new Tigers?

MAny thanks chaps!!!!

Big Phil Lummox

djr

the front end was stiffened but it is still long travel and as such will still be a bit "boingy"

WP springs and 15 weight oil will put her where you need her.

Bear in mind that for Mr. Average the springs etc will be much better than of old but if I can say it without seeming offesive; you hardly fall into the Mr Average category

Lummox

I do accept that Im a tad on the heavy side! But my old girl the steamer coped well with me! If it hadnt been for the constantly seizing brake calipers, rusting exhausts, tingling hands etc I would probably kept her but I now do 90 miles a day comuting (2,000 a month) so I would probably kill her off soon. As it is Im retiring her and shes gonna get a full bifda overhaul and renovation and be wheeled out for sunny days!

Lummox

ps how do I have a photo by my name as you have?

djr

I would expect the new one to cope better 8)

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "Lummox"Hiyer troops!

I am 6' 3" 23 stone strongman it was really notiable.

Big Phil Lummox

Er, umm, 23 stone? What is the conversion factor for stones to, lets say, Metric?
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

Lummox

23 stone is 320 lbs 145kg

6' 3" = 1.9m

Lummox

Picked up new Tiger done 100 miles, first impressions?

Quality feel about it

Handling very surefooted

very different engine and feel about the bike

Niggles

Cable clutch, thought the hydraulic one on the old Tiger was brilliant. Metal clutch adjuster left in the open for water to get into cable. needs rubber grommet jobbie. Hooter/Horn pathetic! Old horn a double jobbie very loud!

Front end a bity dodgy, lots of fork dive and a scary "knocking" after going over bumps.

Im running her in at the mo, will report further when Ive done 500 miles

Lummox

Lummox

close to 500miles warming to her! Effortless riding, still running her in so sticking under 5,000. Dosent seem to have the kick in the pants acceleration of the steamer but everything seems more civilised. Brakes are spot on handling good (apart from front end knocks and rattles).

CAnt wait till Ive had the first service and can give her some wellie!

Anyone else bought a new Tiger after having a steamer?

Lummox

djr

there have been quite a few complaints about the suspension knocking on the new models. It seems Triumph claim this is ok (personally I would be less than happy!).

I am led to believe that the 955i is much smoother in the power delivery. Stick an aftermarket pipe on and she respondsbetter. Horn is pathetic. You can adjust it but it is still pathetic!

Dick Boyer

Those old steamers were gutless compared to the 955i.

Lummox

I dunnow, my steamer had stonking engine and accelerated really quickly when giving her some welly. Just finished running in on the new one so will start giving her some.

Ive noticed the very uneven running when filtering at low revs that others have found on the board. The 955i has stalled on me a couple of times and Ive had trouble starting her again. How can you increase the tickover on the new ones??

Lummox