News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Snatchy at low revs

Started by Sofalofa2005, October 15, 2005, 03:17:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sofalofa2005

Hi Guys,

Have had my bike a couple of weeks now, 05 Tiger with 2,000 miles on it... I have to do 40 miles of M1 motorway everyday at rush hour... thing is, when filtering in the first 2 gears, trying to hold a constant light throttle... it's pretty snatchy and a bit annoying. I'm having to rely on the clutch too much. My old Kawasaki twin was smooth as hell for filtering

Is this just part of the Tiger's "character" or is it something that can be ironed out? It happens anything up to 4,000 revs.

Cheers

Russ.

PaulBerg

This is a well known niggle and is related to the need to meet increasing emissions requirments and auto-leaning function in the ECU at steady throttle. This has been tightened to the point where small variations in the manufacturing tolerances of the O2 sensor (which feeds into the ECU) on some bikes cause the bike to be too lean at steady throttle.

There are threads about this on this forum and RAT.net.

The solution (assuming you don't have an actual fault) is to plug in an O2 Sensor Eliminator from Dynojet (which bypasses it and switches off the auto-leaning function). It costs only £17, so its not a big gamble. See www.dynojet.co.uk/pc/accessories.html.

My '05 had the same symptoms which disapeared after fitting this. See all the orther threads from other who have gone this route as well.

Changes irritation to satisfaction - not many £17 solutions to that these days are there ?

Paul

PaulBerg

djr

there are also quite a few that have fitted this and removed them again as either it made no difference or else resulted in a hike in fuel consumption.

It should also be noted that this does not cure the issue it just disguises it If your bike is jerky it is not set up properly. This item seems to help for some but you are not sorting the problem, just conning the inbuilt electrical gubbins.

NortonCharlie

It might be the throttle closed offset in the computer. This is ussually the cause of the surgy feel.   It should reset itself when you start the bike with the throttle closed and let it run for about 30 seconds without touching the throttle or your dealer can set it with their diagnostic tool and it might be worth having them hook it up and reset it.

My Tiger is an 01 955 so is basically the same motor and I can run around in 1st or 2nd gear at and off idle and it is very smooth.  I still use my O2 sensor.  Good luck, quite a number of people seem to report this problem and others like myself don't have it.  When I got my tuneboy,  the documentation that came with it said the off idle surging problen can ussually be eliminaated by tweaking the idle closed offset.  The tuneboy lets you set a few more things than canbe set with the  Triumph tool
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Frank.B

I Also suffered the same problem you describe on my 03' Tiger. I fitted the 02 eliminator which improved the bikes smoothness throughout.

I did not notice any increase in fuel consumption at all, still 50ish to the gallon two up. Try http://www.triumphtiger-onlne.co.uk for the eliminator.
\"greetings to you....friends of peace\"

Frank.B

\"greetings to you....friends of peace\"

Chris Canning

I fitted one,the fuel consumptiom was exactly the same,it stops the lamber sensor hunting for the ideal setting which improves that area(low down) no end,what i didn't like was it took the raw  edge of the motor ,but for anyone who has a problem, the price of one is hardly going to break the bank!!!.

Dirtdog

Quote from: ",what i didn't like was it took the raw  edge of the motor,[/quoteNot sure I understand what you are saying by it taking the raw edge of the motor away . It maybe a Birmingham AL/USA vs a Birmingham UK thing.

If it's not to much trouble could you explain to me what you were saying.

Thanks

PeterO

I had similar symptoms on a new '05 last year.

Fixed at the 6,000 service with a new ECU mapping.  Runs just fine now. Try that first.

Peter.

Chris Canning

I run my bike with an aftermarket can on with the offroad tune!!!,found at higher revs the engine just felt like it had a sharper edge to it,with the O2 fitted there were less vibes but the motor felt slightly blunted,not a lot but enough for me to notice.

The other thing which may have some importance,because i've got an early 01 955,it take 2 seconds to swap the 02 censor so it's very easy to get a quick direct comparison,some of the latter ones,i think it's a tank of job.

Chris

Another thing that will make your bike "snatchy" is the chain too loose.

iansoady

Quote from: BlacktigerAnother thing that will make your bike "snatchy" is the chain too loose.

Just when we've all slackened ours off too!!!!
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

PaulBerg

I have now done 5k miles using the O2 Bypass kit and it runs nice and smooth with no change in fuel consumption.

I also run it with the chain tension (on centre stand) at 45-50 mm play (10 higher than the book) which gets rid of grating and snatchiness through the footpegs.

These are the only two mods I have found necessary for a smooth running '05.

Paul

Quote from: "iansoady"
Quote from: "Blacktiger"Another thing that will make your bike "snatchy" is the chain too loose.

Just when we've all slackened ours off too!!!!

You can have too tight AND too loose. The best chain adjustment is, of course, just right. :wink: