News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

OIL LIGHT HELP

Started by MARKC, November 10, 2005, 02:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MARKC

After driving 80 miles in absolutely torrential rain I parked up.The next day when I fired up the oil light came on but only faint.I dried out the sender on the engine,sprayed it with WD40 and light stayed out.

Bikes been parked up in a garage for a couple of weeks now. Started it up today. Oil light went out straight away.After about a minute the oil light starts to glow dimly then comes on.Tried previous remedy with no effect.

Oil was changed 2000 miles ago.Its presently just below the max level on oil sight window.When started the oil is leaving the sump OK as the sight glass emptys.

Any ideas anyone.?

Foxy

What model & mileage?

At about 38000 miles my T709 developed a similar problem. Turned out to be a knackered pressure switch. Got my dealer to fix it - it was fairly cheap as I remember - and now I've just checked - one hour labour and £11.71 plus VAT  for the switch. Certainly worth getting that checked before anything else - other than checking your oil level of course!

MARKC

Its a year 2000,885i with 11500 on the clock

kevm

Switch is a fairly common fault on older T5 Triumphs; it's probably that

MARKC

Went down to the Triumph dealers this morning and explained the problem.They seem to think it is the sender unit.Even if its not, at least it was fairly cheap and can be eliminated,rather than going to the hassle of getting the bike to the dealers only to find its something I could have done.The spares guy at Triumph told me it is a common problem and had the unit in stock.

I mentioned to him about the info I had got on here.He said the T5's also had a secondary weak spot with a connection in the loom as well as the pressure switch as well.

So fingers crossed that it is the switch.! I'll let you know.

MARKC

Well! the saga continues. Went to fit the new pressure switch and found it was different to the one that was in.So I put the old one back in and started it up. No red light.

I hate intermittent faults.

But I'll replace the switch anyway just in case.

Blue Tiger

Had this on my 01 RS. Finally traced to a large multi plug connector located just above the engine near the battery (might be slightly different on the Tiger). Found it had sveral corroded terminals. A bugger to get appart but did it, cleaned it all with WD40, put back together and job done.

MARKC

I've fitted the new oil pressure switch.But I'll follow your advice and give all the connectors a good clean and dose of WD.

I'll call into the car shop and get some of the grease used to protect electrical connections and battery posts.(think its called 'dialetic' grease).

davensocal

MarkC-

You can also get dielectric grease at most electronic component stores.  In the US we have Radio Shack...  

I use Dielectric on EVERYTHING.  Never haad a problem yet.  It is especially nice on marine applications..