News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Does anyone use 5th gear?

Started by BykBoy, August 26, 2005, 05:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaKid

For those of us with some elevation within our riding range (Rocky Mountains of Colorado for example), I'm thankful for every gear my Tiger has. I'm one of those who have geared up and so 5th gear is about where 6th used to be and 6th now has become very comfortable at freeway speeds (80+ mph) and allows the motor to spin about 500 rpm less.  I actually get a lot of use out of 5th, mostly while going up those mountain grades.  This all may be mute to those who spend all their time on the flatlands of the globe.  Maybe only 3 or 4 gears would necessary there.
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger

Quote from: "Sofalofa2005"but doesn't changing sprocket sizes mess up the speedo/mileometer readings etc?

It's not a b1oody BMW don't you know!

I changed to a 19T drive sprocket 8000 miles ago and think that's what Triumph should fit as standard.  50mph@3K, 65mph@4K, 80mph@5K. Above 5K rpm is where it starts to drink the juice. So stick to 80 mph on the motorways and get 55mpg & 220 miles before the warning light. Only trouble is ; you need the gel seat to go the distance.

As for using 5th. Each gear is usefull in some situation. I use it for trickling through towns. Also, I agree with the earlier comments about "6th could have been an overdrive" sort of thing. 1st to 5th could have been spaced like 1st to 6th actually is, with 6th being really high to bring the revs right down like 80mph @ 3500rpm. I'm sure with the torque this engine puts out it would work OK.

BykBoy

Quote from: "Blacktiger"... with 6th being really high to bring the revs right down like 80mph @ 3500rpm.

That's what I want! How can we get that?
2001 Black 955i Tiger

Save $5 when you open a SmugMug account. Use the following coupon: 4l1hicJzWvYNE

Quote from: "BykBoy"
Quote from: "Blacktiger"... with 6th being really high to bring the revs right down like 80mph @ 3500rpm.

Impossible with our gearbox. I doubt the ratio would fit in the cases even if you got gears specially made..

BykBoy

Quote from: "Blacktiger"
Quote from: "BykBoy"

Impossible with our gearbox. I doubt the ratio would fit in the cases even if you got gears specially made..

Well that just sucks!

:evil:
2001 Black 955i Tiger

Save $5 when you open a SmugMug account. Use the following coupon: 4l1hicJzWvYNE

obxtiger

how bad does the 19t sprocket change effect slow speed 1st gear riding? i'd like the better gas milage for my 100mph commute but i stll do forest service road touring.
beware world I\'ve now got a TIGER on the loose.

BykBoy

Quote from: "obxtiger"how bad does the 19t sprocket change effect slow speed 1st gear riding? i'd like the better gas milage for my 100mph commute but i stll do forest service road touring.

I never had any problems with the 19 T on service road or dirt roads. It get's a little tricky on technical sections (watter washouts, deap sand). In these situations I would work the clutch a little more... I carry a 16 T sprocket with me just in case I get into some really nasty off road. Never had to use it thouh...
2001 Black 955i Tiger