News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Sorry off topic, truck buying rant?????

Started by apache, December 16, 2005, 05:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apache

Apologize for being far away from bikes but I need opinions. Most of my 29 years of driving Ive had old cheaply aquired trucks. They served their purpose looked OK and typically never really broke down. years ago I tought Id treat myself to a newer diesel pickup to haul the camper/trailers etc. The first was a 93 with 70K miles and immaculate. Within 50K miles and 2 years of ownership It cost over $4000 for repairs, I picked up another for hauling hay and ranch work, also a 93 diesel, engine went at 188K along with cooling system,brake problems/electrical. I cut my losses and sold it as is loosing my ass again. Much of my camping requires a 4wd vehicle to get at so we sold the original 93 and bought a 95 Dodge diesel 4x4. In 20K of ownership and 1.5 years it has cost $2500 in repairs and now needs another $1200 to $2600 depending on what is needed.  Thru this all we have a 74 chevy 4x4 1/2 ton beat to shit ranch truck,rusted,busted and crusted but NEVER has broke down. We load it with tons of hay and still it goes. Is this what one gets with an newer American truck these days? a overpriced pile of dung? Even friends with Chevys and Ford are in the same boat. This is nuts. Whats a poor working stiff to do?. Thank God for bikes, specially my Tiger.

MikeF

Lease for 2 years then pass it on. That lets GM, Ford, Dodge pay for repairs. The only problem is you will always have a payment but that is offset by not haveing to pay for major repairs. Other option buy older trucks, spend the same 30k you would have to buy a newer truck and have it completely restored, drive happy.

apache

Thats about the size of it, If I could find a clean good shape pre smog 4x4 F250 or K20-30 Id pay dearly for it. Leasing was considered but I put on to many miles typically and would get killed on xtras upon the return.

noivson

:roll:  Well, passion is saved for the Motorcycles, Tiger and a FZ1. I was stuck in the rut of NewTruck Luck for a few years. Finally after 2 engine replacements in a 4 DoorFord.....all the bells and whistles...traded straight up for a Honda Element...plain and ugly it sure is! Still uses 4 wheel drive when it thinks I need it.  Sure it's not what I want, but It's what I need.  Guess I can live with it....for a long time too!
Ride More-Worry Less! \'05 Lucifer Orange \'S\'

apache

A car/truck has become a "tool" if you will. Theres no passion in driving one to me. Its just a necessity sometimes to haul horses or the occasional camping trip with the Misses and kid, even that is beginning to become a question in my mind. But I wonder as much as Ive always love riding if doing it every day ,rain ,shine, cold, hot it would become much like the same old same old? Hopping on a bike has always been a sure cure for what ever is eating away at me mentally. Theses never been a replacement Ive found yet although hang gliding might do the trick, but its not something I can do on a whim or know how to. Ive been eyeballing new Toyota trucks, but at 6'3" they are cramped and dont haul much. Might just as well build a camper trailer for the Tiger. Now theres an idea!!