News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Wheel Balancing

Started by guydan, March 02, 2006, 06:43:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guydan

Does any one happen to know what the wheel bearing ID's (front and rear) are on a 99-04 Tiger?  I want to build a wheel balancer and don't want to remove the wheels to find out.
Cheers,

Doug

Build a wheel balancer :-

2 x car axle stands.

Er...that's it.

Put spindle through the wheel and sit it on the axle stands. Spin wheel.

Sorted. And cheap. And easy. And it works.

guydan

That's basically what I want to do, except, I'd like to add some oiled bearings on the axle that rest on the stands so that the assembly will have less drag.  Hence my question on the axle's diameter.
Cheers,

Doug

guydan

Took another tack on this one.  I built two small brackets with two (2) skateboard bearings (8mm ID x 22mm OD x 7mm W) spaced approximately 25mm center to center on each bracket.  I will mount the brackets on my sawhorses, level the sawhorses so the axle shaft is level when placed on the bracket bearings, place the wheel and axle onto the bearing brackets so that the axle rides on the two skateboard bearings and balance.  This should provide much less drag than the greased wheel bearings do, hence a more accurate balance.  I realize that just using the axles would work, but I wanted to take the wheel bearings out of the equation.  Note that several commercial balancers are done this way.  :D
Cheers,

Doug