News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

95 Tiger mods

Started by RedMenace, October 04, 2003, 07:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedMenace

The Red Menace

Bull

Nice scoot Mr Red .....  

- do the K&N filters make a noticeable difference?  If so - how [I'm considering switching out the stock filter and replacing with K&N]

TIA
\"Inconsistency is the mark of genius.\"  Emerson

RedMenace

Quote from: "Bull"Nice scoot Mr Red .....  

- do the K&N filters make a noticeable difference?  If so - how [I'm considering switching out the stock filter and replacing with K&N]

TIA

I chose the K&N because I thrashed my original filter riding in the desert and it offends my sense of what is to toss the entire airbox to replace the filter. THe K&N can be cleaned, which makes a whole lot more sense for the type of riding I do. I choked down the air intakes with additional filter foam and did not rejet, so performance remains about the same as before. The Yahoo Tiger group archives should have a bunch of info bout opening the exhausts, changing the cam and rejeting combined with the K&N for performance increase, but that wasn't my goal and I didn't go that route. I have been pleased with the K&N and have had it out a couple of times for cleaning. It doesn't appear to be passing dirt, and it cleans up nicely and so far does not appear to be deteriorating.
The Red Menace

Doug95

So is it a pain in the a$$ to add the K&N without cracking the airbox?  When you say "sealed and taped", did you use some type of sealant?  Really wanted to do this mod, but was scared off by Johann (the former Triumph dealer in S.A.) who told me that he saw probably 30+ K&N mods, and only one that wasn't causing problems.  Yours is obviously done right since you're having no problems-are there any tricks to it?

Doug
If you\'ve never stared off into the distance, then your life is a shame.....

- Counting Crows

RedMenace

Quote from: "Doug95"So is it a pain in the a$$ to add the K&N without cracking the airbox?  When you say "sealed and taped", did you use some type of sealant?  Really wanted to do this mod, but was scared off by Johann (the former Triumph dealer in S.A.) who told me that he saw probably 30+ K&N mods, and only one that wasn't causing problems.  Yours is obviously done right since you're having no problems-are there any tricks to it?

Doug

It's not that hard to do if the airbox is in reasonably good shape to begin with

I have been lucky-no cracks in the airbox, two of the screws did strip out, but there are so many of the little buggers, I think it is OK.

Probably need to tear down the engine and inspect for wear to really see if any harm is being done, but I think the K& N is fine as long as you get it seated in the box and sealed well. I used RTV silicone, with duct tape over the seams. Be sure the drain hose and crank case breather are firmly attached(I replace the factory hose clamps with ss screw type clamps. Be sure the intake boots are seated correctly(what a PITA :x )

Don't forget to instal the metal screen inside the airbox-don't know why, but it seems to make a difference if you leave it out.

One of my dirt bike buddies gave me a tip: oil only the backside(towards the carbs) of the filter- the dirt will cake on the dry side and be easier to knock off. Seems to work.
The Red Menace

Doug95

I think I may try it this winter.  Haven't had the carbs off the Tiger yet.  I've got an old Honda CB900, and it's a helluvan ordeal to get the carbs out of it.  Very little tolerance between the airbox/frame/cylinder heads, and you have to pull the carbs out about two inches, use your other hand to roll back the throttle pick-up, and then use your third hand to remove the throttle and choke cables without mangling any of the boots.   Finally replaced the airbox with separate air cleaners on each intake.  Had to jet two sizes up to make them work, but it's much easier to work on the carbs, for sure.  

JOOC, what type of welder are you running?  Saw on one of your threads that you had welded some things up......

I've got an old Lincoln 185 buzzbox stick, and recently picked up a Miller 210 mig.  The latter is a heck of a nice machine.  The former was free, and looks it....... :shock:

Doug
If you\'ve never stared off into the distance, then your life is a shame.....

- Counting Crows

RedMenace

I suspect servicing the carbs on the Tiger isn't any harder than any other inline multi with a center spine frame. Silicone spray and warmed rubber bits is the key. and luck. and patience.

My welding skills suck. Most of the pictures of welding on my bike I've posted feature my neighbor, Joel. He's ace with a tig, mig or torch. Don't know what brand equipment he uses tho'

I have a little no name mig, which has gone tits. when it worked, I used it to make the racks on my sidecar and do some of the stuff on my Speed Triple hack.

I used an ancient GE buzz box to to the shifter modification. Got lucky- I usually blow holes in things with it.

I have some tanks and a torch which were given me-need to get some gas and learn how to use them. Need to get the mig into a repair shop too-it was damned handy when it worked.

Quote from: "Doug95"I think I may try it this winter.  Haven't had the carbs off the Tiger yet.  I've got an old Honda CB900, and it's a helluvan ordeal to get the carbs out of it.  Very little tolerance between the airbox/frame/cylinder heads, and you have to pull the carbs out about two inches, use your other hand to roll back the throttle pick-up, and then use your third hand to remove the throttle and choke cables without mangling any of the boots.   Finally replaced the airbox with separate air cleaners on each intake.  Had to jet two sizes up to make them work, but it's much easier to work on the carbs, for sure.  

JOOC, what type of welder are you running?  Saw on one of your threads that you had welded some things up......

I've got an old Lincoln 185 buzzbox stick, and recently picked up a Miller 210 mig.  The latter is a heck of a nice machine.  The former was free, and looks it....... :shock:

Doug
The Red Menace