News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

troubleshooting the steamer #1

Started by eviltwin, February 16, 2006, 04:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eviltwin

Hi, finally got the steamer home, but noticed the engine dying under heavy braking. It just stumbles, rpm drop slowly, then stops. I can restart after a few seconds of thumbing the starter, but I rather not have to worry about it.    :cry:

Carbs have been cleaned last year (according to prev. owner) but the bike only shows 500 miles for the entire year.  

Also, there isn't really any power below 3000-4000 rpm (getting off the line needs 5000 rpm and a lot of clutch slippage for the engine to stay alive...)

Any ideas???

thanks
Es ist nicht deine Schuld dass die Welt ist wie sie ist, es waer\' nur deine Schuld wenn sie so bleibt!

BR

Hello ET,

Well, regardless of what the prev owner did, it sounds like the bike has spent some time sitting around and you have fuel delivery issue.  On my '98, I have found it somewhat sensitive to sitting around and not being run.  I'd say you might as well dig into it and pull the carbs, check and clean your pilot jets (and the others).  It's no big deal.  I wish I was there to help!  Feel free to email me with questions (or just post again... lots of knowledgeable folks here).

Brendan

'98 BRG Tiger

mailto:bereitz@yahoo.com">bereitz@yahoo.com

PeterO

Quote from: "eviltwin"Hi, finally got the steamer home, but noticed the engine dying under heavy braking. It just stumbles, rpm drop slowly, then stops. I can restart after a few seconds of thumbing the starter, but I rather not have to worry about it.    :cry:

Carbs have been cleaned last year (according to prev. owner) but the bike only shows 500 miles for the entire year.  

Also, there isn't really any power below 3000-4000 rpm (getting off the line needs 5000 rpm and a lot of clutch slippage for the engine to stay alive...)

Any ideas???

thanks

I would drain the carbs and the tank as well.  When I got that sort of behaviour on my old steamer I found it was due to water in the fuel (which in turn was due to the tank filler drain pipe being blocked).

Peter