News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Valve Adjustment Tool (T3880012 equiv)

Started by guydan, March 04, 2006, 04:26:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guydan

Here's a couple of pdf drawings I did based on other drawings I saw on-line. I cleaned the details up a bit and corrected an interference. The drawings are dimensioned in both mm and inches. NOTE: I HAVE NOT BUILT/TRYED THIS YET, NOR COMPARED IT TO AN ACTUAL TRIUMPH TOOL, USE DOCUMENTS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Could anyone do a dimensional comparision?

Note: having some technical difficulties attaching the files.  PM'd BigStripey for assistance.

In the meantime,  the pdf files are posted here: http://www.savefile.com/projects.php?pid=539151
Cheers,

Doug

bazza5938

I know I'm bringing up a really old topic, but I don't suppose anyone else has the dimensions of t3880012 that could be used to try and fabricate one of my own? These days Google drive or Dropbox is probably the best way to share, and I'd be happy to get one stored on my own to share if I can get all the details

Lee337

I have one in the garage from Squaredeals. Cost around £30.

Have to ask, is it worth the trouble of fabricating one when they're not that expensive?
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

bazza5938

Quote from: Lee337 on March 21, 2023, 11:29:58 AMI have one in the garage from Squaredeals. Cost around £30.

Have to ask, is it worth the trouble of fabricating one when they're not that expensive?

If it was trouble, no, probably not, however I'm doing a motorcycle maintenance and repair principles course, and need to fabricate a tool, plus want to do my valve clearances, so both jobs become coursework 😁

Lee337

Fair enough, If I remember I'll dig mine out & measure the bits.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

bazza5938

Quote from: Lee337 on March 23, 2023, 11:00:48 AMFair enough, If I remember I'll dig mine out & measure the bits.

That would be great, much appreciated

Lee337

ok, it's not great, but there may be enough for you to fabricate something.

I'm afraid Its a long time since I've done any tech drawings, so photos will have to do.

bazza5938

Quote from: Lee337 on March 23, 2023, 06:44:06 PMok, it's not great, but there may be enough for you to fabricate something.

I'm afraid Its a long time since I've done any tech drawings, so photos will have to do.

Could you grab the distance from the short edge for the mounting holes? And the diameter of the legs that push down on the buckets, along with the indent, if you can. And the sizes you have there for the holes, are they to centre of holes, or the edges?

London_Phil

There were drawings on this site from a long time ago, but they look like they did not survive the crash and restore..

Sin_Tiger

I think if you follow the basis of Mustang's old design (as Lee has shown) with the inherent flexibility, you should be fine. With the Genuine tool (I have and have used both) it's not as easy to find the sweet spot to trap the bucket.

The only comment I'd make is that if I had to make one, or replace a part, now, I'd make the pins from steel as the shoulders on the alloy ones can get damaged.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

bazza5938

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on March 23, 2023, 10:47:28 PMI think if you follow the basis of Mustang's old design (as Lee has shown) with the inherent flexibility, you should be fine. With the Genuine tool (I have and have used both) it's not as easy to find the sweet spot to trap the bucket.

The only comment I'd make is that if I had to make one, or replace a part, now, I'd make the pins from steel as the shoulders on the alloy ones can get damaged.

Yeah, I'll most likely be using steel, but plenty of machines and materials in the college for me to use, and I'll properly draw out the plans myself once I have all the measurements, so I'll share anything useful on here too, try and keep the knowledge around of them, even though this is probably something I'll only use once, if I even need it once I measure my clearances, but would rather have everything to hand for doing it rather than doing it all twice

Lee337

Quote from: bazza5938 on March 23, 2023, 07:33:11 PMCould you grab the distance from the short edge for the mounting holes? And the diameter of the legs that push down on the buckets, along with the indent, if you can. And the sizes you have there for the holes, are they to centre of holes, or the edges?

23.5mm from the short edge, thats from the centre of the hole, the legs are 9.5mm. The mounting holes are 6.0mm dia threaded. The indent is 4mm and 8.0mm dia.

bazza5938

Quote from: Lee337 on March 24, 2023, 04:54:45 PM23.5mm from the short edge, thats from the centre of the hole, the legs are 9.5mm. The mounting holes are 6.0mm dia threaded. The indent is 4mm and 8.0mm dia.

Great, thanks, I'll make a quick sketch to make sure I've got all the measurements and upload it so can make sure of everything before I start cutting metal on Tuesday