News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger caught in rain want crank....

Started by Dirtdog, April 01, 2006, 06:58:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirtdog

I have a 2005 Lucifer Orange Tiger with 4K on the clock.

I got caught in the rain tonight nothing heavy just a shower.

I was in bumper to bumper stop and go traffic for 10 miles

which took me about 30 to 40 minutes. The Tiger was acting peculiar didn't want to up shift or down shift into neutral. I thought this was odd I could find it but I had to dig for neutral. After stopping an letting the Tiger sit in a dry area

for and hour I went to crank her up and it started stuttering like it was a starter gone bad. Turn the ignition the lights are weak, very little to no dash lights, etc. And when I hit

the starter I get a real rapid weak ticking noise.

Any ideas,

There is a Triumph demo day at Bogart's Triumph BMW in Birmingham AL/USA on Saturday. I'll stop by and see if they will loan me a tow truck.

kevm

Dunno about the shifting but it sounds like your battery's gone flat.  Try another battery / jump leads ?  Sounds like a warranty issue seeing as it's an 05...

kevm

Dunno about the shifting but it sounds like your battery's gone flat.  Try another battery / jump leads ?  Sounds like a warranty issue seeing as it's an 05...

Dirtdog

After jumping off the Tiger with my truck battery, the battery at the dealership tested weak/discharged. The service manager at Bogart's BMW in B'ham AL proceeds to inform that if the charging system checks out OK Triumph will not cover it under warranty. That's something you don't want to hear after being stranded on busy highway at night in the rain, and then wasting a half day Saturday, inconveniencing friends, etc. getting the bike into the dealership to be repaired. You would think of after buying the bike and a pile of gear from them it would bring out someone kind of loyalty,

guess not.

I thought to the Tiger was dependable, I maybe wrong.

It was April fools yesterday but I'm afraid the joke maybe on me for this for a long time to come.

To me this is a strike one. Two more and I'll sell her and move back to the V-Strom.

Quote from: "Dirtdog"To me this is a strike one. Two more and I'll sell her and move back to the V-Strom.

I hope it doesn't come to that. Mine has been trouble free since August 2002 and 34000 miles. Still on the original battery.

If you have the Datatool alarm fitted, throw it away and run the bike without it for a period. The one fitted to my bike drained my battery a couple of times.

Speed3guy

I've got 10,000 miles in all kinds of weather on my '05 Orange Tiger with never a hickup.  Quite of few of those miles were in the dirt in places a Tiger was supposedly never supposed to go.  Sounds like you got a bad battery--I wouldn't get to worked up if I were you.

Guy

Dirtdog

It was my bad on getting down on the Tiger. Way to early for that maybe I need to grow up and take a Valium and chill out. I hope to get the Tiger back ASAP and be a happy camper at least wait till soemthing really bad happens that's worth getting upset over.

Jim S

Reliability, or the lack of it can be a decider when it comes to bikes. I tested a new Tiger from my local dealers a couple of yrs ago, it had been sitting for a while so the battery was well down, wouldn't start it. The dealer jumped the bike and I set off for a test ride. The bike behaved very eratically at low revs and even stalled at one point. I had to bump start it as the battery was not recovering. I've been told that once a battery goes down so far the plates warp and it never recovers.

This experience was enough to put me off of the Tiger.

After two years I've now bought a Tiger to give it a fair chance to impress me. Any sign of battery wear now I buy new, I hate a bike that's unreliable!

So far I'm enjoying the Tiger, just thought I'd share that little experience with you all.
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

Dirtdog

The dealer charged up the battery for me and tested the charging system

to see if there was a problem there. No problem with the charging system and the battery seems to be holding it's charge after running it. They adviced me to put it on a battery tender at night to keep it fully charged up. Just did a round trip of 500 miles and the Tiger growled and purred like a Tiger should. I get quit a few looks and  stares on the intersate with the golf clubs and golf bag strapped down to that wide rear Corbin seat. Going through Atlanta, GA  on I85 in 7 lanes of traffic at warp 9 lunch hour speed is not something I want to do a regular basis though.  :D