News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

do i realy need to oil the chain every 200 miles

Started by raw, May 02, 2006, 04:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raw

i just got a 05 tiger new and i dont want to lube the chain every 200 miles do i have to or will it just shorten the life on it,and if so how long can i go be for i have to oil it ,mostly street riding ,and is anyone running auto chain lubers and which ones are good to use and how much

wasions

Well, I don't suppose you have to lube the chain if you don't want to.  It's your chain.

I just do it whenever I fill up the bike.  I keep a spray can in the right side (little) pannier and hit it before I put the gas in.  I opted for the centerstand, though.  It makes things much easier.

Maybe you should have bought a Buell Ulysses.
Steve

Gear up!

<*}}}><

\'06 Tiger, \'99 DR350

TRKTEK

Chain lube is vitally important......

I too have an '05 on which I've installed a scottoiler. Once adjusted I believe this to be the greatest accessory for a chain driven M/C since the grimey left pantleg :)
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

John Kenneth Galbraith

ghostbiker955i

Scottoiler is fantastic WHEN it works. for some reason i have fitted one to every chain bike i have had in the last 10 years and every time they seem to stop working for no reason then start again a month or 2 later.

I am stumped as to why they stop, all the tubes are free and un cloged the bottle has oil in and no matter where i put the setting it has no effect. then all by itself it works again.

But still i think there worth the hassel. realy helps the life of chain and keeps a smoother running and better fuel mpg than an old stiff unlobed chain will give you.
If it aint broke, I aint touched it! .........Yet!

Sofalofa2005

Ghost exactly the same problem. Had a new Scottoiler fitted when I picked up my bike in October last year (1,000 miles)... Bike has now done 11,500 miles and it still doesn't work. Only when you put it on "prime" does the oil flow, otherwise nothing. Annoying as I've had scottoilers on my last 3 bikes and they've worked fine.

The dealer checked it at 6,000 mile service and said it was set up okay. Bike is in for 12,000 mile service in 2 weeks so it's either get it sorted or give me a refund!

ChrisN

I've had the same Scottoiler transferred/fitted on my last 3 bikes. Covered a total of 26,000 miles and its still works fine. Never had to adjust a chain yet !
Chris

Tri2Fly

I'm using the HawkeOiler.  Available from Aerostich, I think.

It's a bottle, some tubing, some wiring and a button.  Works fine so far.  The only fiddly part is getting the final drip tube positioned correctly.

Every once in a while, you push the button.  Some oil comes out on your chain.

I chose Hawke over Scott because I didn't want to get involved with vacuum hook ups and constant tinkering, which I had heard was a common requirement of Scott ownership.

Cheers,

Randy

Chris Canning

I've never ajusted a chain either!!! and i've never had a Scott oiler,come to think of it i don't even have a bike thats back end is covered in crap either!! the joys of Wurth dry lube!!!!

Sofalofa2005

... saying that (above, scottoiler problem), I give it a quick 20 second blast with chain oiler (just Hein Gerick stuff) once a week (300 miles), and I also have never had to adjust the chain so far... is looking fine too, no rust and sprockets look fine... and that's been all the way through winter

Brother Number One

Scottoiler website says the touring version is not suitable for the Tiger but mine came with one fitted!  Big reservoir pushes the numberplate out so the light doesn't shine on it.  :shock:
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger

The Midnight Rambler

I have the Motrax Lubetronic

www.motrax.co.uk/Maintenance/Lubetronic.html

This avoids tapping the vacuum system which the dealer said isn't a good idea on FI Tigers.

The first control unit failed but usually the thing works well.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
― Hunter S. Thompson

wtrlogd

How many miles are people getting out of their stock chain and spockets, with / without the oilers? Isn't the entire purpose of an O-ring chain to keep from having to mess with oilers? I applied O-ring lube prior to my last 3400 mile ride, then again when I got home. Typically every 1-2 thousand miles. Less than 12000 on the bike, so I guess time will tell.
2005 Triumph Tiger

1997 ATK605DS

ghostbiker955i

Im at 21k now on my 05 and the chain/sprokets will need replacing at the 24k service.

Will prob drop a tooth on the front at this point to.
If it aint broke, I aint touched it! .........Yet!

jp4evr

Quote from: "ghostbiker955i"Im at 21k now on my 05 and the chain/sprokets will need replacing at the 24k service.

Will prob drop a tooth on the front at this point to.

I'm probably somewhere near 30k on my current 2000 and no changes on chain / sprocket.  

On gearing changes, the best thing you can do is go up 3 on the rear rather than down 1 in the front.  the wear is much worse when the chain has to go around a smaller front circumference.  $.02

e
2000 TIGER - Current - finally....

2000 TT600 - now my wife\'s ring

1997 CBR 600F2 - sold

1998 Suzuki - Bottom of ravine - Oops!

ArizonaKid

Short answer. . . no.   :P Every 300-400 is good. As mentioned, unless you like oil slung all over the ass end of your bike by one of the auto-oilers on the market stay away from those :wink: .  They're just not worth the tinkering and the mess.  One of the "chain wax" products on the market will work fine for 300-400 miles.   A good cleaning is a good thing every 2-3K as well.  Have fun   :D .
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger