News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

off-road chain care

Started by Brother Number One, May 07, 2006, 02:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brother Number One

Hi All,

I hope to be riding the odd Moroccan piste, soon.  What should I do about the chain?  In the past, on a TDM, I have gone off-road and just ignored the chain.  It got caked in filth, which I ignored, and the thing wore out very soon afterwards.

I have a Scottoiler on the Tiger.  Should I turn it up, turn it down or turn it off?

Afterwars I will clean the chain with washing-up liquid and lots of water.  Is that okay for the o rings?

:?:
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger

Sincs

Hi

We turned ours off for the piste riding and then once back on the road I just cranked it right up for a while and it cleaned all the crap off it. You do get a bit of spray on to panniers etc but your bike will be covered in crap after being on the piste anyway.It's easier to clean a bike than change chain and sprockets.. Hope its going well Good luck in the sand..Enjoy

Sincs

Chris Canning

Wurth dry lube although there are others,just isn't anything for the shit to stick to and when the chain has been wet the chain doesn't go rusty.

Brother Number One

Thanks for that.  Will switch the SO off while out on the piste and turn it up again to clean chain afterwards.  All makes sense.  Just need some off-road skills now...  :(
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger