News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel economy

Started by obsean, May 15, 2006, 07:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

obsean

Hey folks

I'm curious what kind of mileage you all are getting on your Tigers?  I have an 05 and I only seem to get about 200 - 250 per tank.  I thought it would be more than that, so I'm curious what you guys are getting.

JRO

Quote from: "obsean"Hey folks

I'm curious what kind of mileage you all are getting on your Tigers?  I have an 05 and I only seem to get about 200 - 250 per tank.  I thought it would be more than that, so I'm curious what you guys are getting.

That depends on where you are.  Are we talking miles, or kilometers, or cubits?

I suppose you mean miles, since you say 'mile-age'.  I guess kilometers would be 'kilometerage' (although I've never heard anyone say that).  Would it be cubiage or cubitage if we were talking cubits?

My '06 gets approx. 35-38miles per gallon(U.S.).  That's 180-230miles per tank.  Not the best mileage for a bike, but compared to an M1 tank, it's pretty fantastic.  Better than a Goldwing, too.  Also superior to most heavy construction equipment.  In any event, I'm not really complaining about the mileage, and I think your figure is about average for a Tiger.
JRO

2006 Tiger

blacktiger

Maybe I am mis-calculating but I just returned from a trip and was getting about 45 mpg.  This trip included many small towns and stops and so there is no particular reason that I should be doing that much better.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Jim S

HI guys,

I've an 04 955i, the last couple of trips have been returning 212 and 203 to the petrol light, around four UK gallons of fuel so approx 50mpg (UK)

Better than my previous, Honda Varadero 45mpg to 30ish mpg!

I've heard a couple of guys mention strange returns like 150 miles to the tank but you'd have to be treating the bike real hard for that surely? I don't hang around and love popping the front wheel in the air so I consider my riding to be average. Not that even I consider raising the front wheel the actions of an average rider! But I mean overall I don't creep around in high gears and am prone for a bit of high revs occasionally. Be interesting to see the different figures.
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

iansoady

Quote from: "Jim S"HI guys,

I've an 04 955i, the last couple of trips have been returning 212 and 203 to the petrol light, around four UK gallons of fuel so approx 50mpg (UK)

This is about the same as mine (also 04 955i). I don't wail around at 10,000 rpm all day and tend to be in a higher rather than a lower gear which it seems to me suits the Tiger's relaxed style anyway. But I would normally be at or slightly above the speed limit and like to use the acceleration, although I usually short-shift at around 4-5K. I've never noticed queues of people following me waiting to overtake. Interestingly, I used to get almost exactly the same mpg from my 850 Norton Commando, ridden in a similar manner. In fact there are many similarities between the two bikes.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

obsean

O.K. Folks

I just filled up this morning  and I figured I'm getting really close to 50 mpg (U.S.)

I can't complain about that!!!  Thats a hell of alot better than my Land Rover!

tiger feet

From my 1997 carb'd version I can get between 50 - 60 mpg on a long run if not stretching the cable!

Have seen it down into the 40's when crusing at very high speed with the sports bike boys!

I was still doing better than they were, putting in almost half the fuel they were!

So can I get almost 300 miles per tank full, but tend to refuel at about 250 or when stopped when lesser machines have to refuel!

However my bike has a stock engine, but 17" wheels at both ends running sports touring rubber, also the rear sprocket has 43 teeth, and it pulls just fine!

Regards,

Tiger Feet.

PS. I'm new to this forum but not Tigers, had mine from new.
Four wheels good, two wheels better, three wheels accident!