News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

'98 Tiger900 still on dealer floor

Started by SavageTodd, May 12, 2006, 11:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SavageTodd

Went calling on my local dealers for some test rides and several just sold their new 06 Tigers. One dealer has a 98. I went to see it and asked if it was a trade-in,,,,replied it's been there since new and only has 800miles on it mostly from the owner.

The carb seals were bad and dealer just replaced all 3 carbs new.

I'd love to take it home but they still think it's worth $5900

I know it's super low miles but I think $4000 is more realistic. What do you think????

Opinions are appreciated. I'm going back on Monday to test ride and maybe trade-in my vstar1100 on it depending on negotiations.
2000 Tiger 900 - Black

2000 Vstar 1100 classic

Bruincounselor

I belive there was a discussion about the Minnesota bike recently. Way overpriced, even if they throw in the warranty. I got a 2000 demo 2 years ago with less than 5000 miles for $4000 - and that included 2 years of warranty and hard bags (they were extra at the time of manufacture).

Seems suspicious that it's sat for years at a dealer, tying up inventory dollars. Even weirder that it's still overpriced. I'm sure there are others that will disagree with me on this.

I can recommend Ma's in Fargo as an excellent dealer with a last years available. Bob has been a great dealer to me.

Bruin

Fargo
Bruin\'

SavageTodd

Thanks for the reply. I agree it's way over-priced.

Plus being a 98 makes it tough to find parts like hard-bags.

I dont understand the dealers perspective of keeping it so long. I think I'll still try my negotiating skills on them.

Should I be concerned about  a bike sitting that long without being used much. ie dry-cracked hose lines, seals, etc???

PS - Plus I'll call up to Ma's in Fargo and get the color/cpecs on there used bike
2000 Tiger 900 - Black

2000 Vstar 1100 classic

TigerTrax

I'd say to the dealer that his floor space is more valuable than an 8 year old model that haqs never sold!

Offer him $3500 + he corerects the carb problem + the warranty.

( That's the COSTS for letting deteriorate ). If he says no, ask him if he has a better offer or is just being stubborn. You might say that bike is all over the Tiger message boards and everyone knows the problems!

Can't sell a Tiger in MN is a disgrace!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Tri2Fly

That dealer may have the same problem I have:  I love my Steamer more than money!