News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

DL1000 v.s. Tiger????

Started by Sturgeon46, January 13, 2005, 11:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sturgeon46

Hi all.  I've been exploring your site for a while - Seems like a great group.  I'm currently on a '01 BMW R1200C Phoenix (which I'll keep for a while).  When I sell my old RT, the wife says I can start thinking about a new adventure bike.  I don't want a GS and the Tigers have always grabbed me ((love the brits, my first real bike was a '72 Norton I bought brand new when I graduated H.S.).

Has there been a comparo between the Tiger and the Suzuki V-Strom DL1000 that you guys are aware of?

Understanding that you folks might have a touch of bias - which is ok because I think I might too, what do you all think of the merits of each?

ridin gaijin

Quote from: "Sturgeon46"Understanding that you folks might have a touch of bias - which is ok because I think I might too, what do you all think of the merits of each?

Ah, wait...you mean there's... other[/size] bikes?

:?:     :?:     :?:     :?:     :?:
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

robbo

In my totally unbiased opinion there is no contest the DL doesnÃŒt come close and is way over priced for what it is.  8)
best Regards

Robbo

Patrick the Scot

I think there have been some threads in the last few months that have discussed this very thing. I can't recall which threads, but I think the highlights were that the Tiger had more and smoother power, much better build quilty, (look real closely at the gauges and plastic bits on the DL...) more standard features, and better off-road ability.   I've ridden both and I would have bought a new DL1000, if I hadn't ridden a Triumph triple 955i! Nothing else like it. I don't think the DL is a bad bike: I just think the Tiger is better. I do like the dual rear pipes on the DL, though.  Hmmmm... maybe I could fabricate a dual race can set up for the Tiger...
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

greg

My wife has a DL650, the baby V-Strom, and loves it, and I enjoy riding it too but it's just not in the same league as the Tiger. The only difference between it and the 1000 is power, but even if it had a bit more than the Tiger it still wouldn't be anywhere near as good. Numerous uk bike mag tests seem to agree. The V-Strom is good, but not that good, and as for off road ....................
2004 Girly.

Sturgeon46

Thanks much.  I enjoy this site.

Brock

The V-Strom has an incredible engine. But not much else. It's a personal thing, so you'd be best to get LONG test rides on both, weigh up all the pros and cons, THEN buy the Tiger.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

Mr Mistoffelees

From personal experience (over 22000 miles on a Suzuki GSX1400 in all weathers), I can honestly say the build quality is down compared to the Triumph, however, Suzuki do build great engines.

Get a test ride on both, and then buy the exclusive Silver Tiger (much faster than any other colour)   :lol:   8)
There\'s no such Cat in the metropolis;

He holds all the patent monopolies

For performing suprising illusions

And creating eccentric confusions

Brock

Apart from the rare and endangered black ones...
Chris

SIBBO

But with Roulette green everybody sees you coming and get out of the way  :arrow:

ridin gaijin

Quote from: "Brock"Apart from the rare and endangered black ones...

Quote from: "SIBBO"But with Roulette green everybody sees you coming and get out of the way  :arrow:

Er, yes, of course;...mind you, both of which are no longer manufactured, having been outcompeted in the evolutionary cycle by the sturdier, speedier orange ones...
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

Brock

Chris

tigerowner_ut

Quote from: "ridin gaijin"
Quote from: "Brock"Apart from the rare and endangered black ones...

Quote from: "SIBBO"But with Roulette green everybody sees you coming and get out of the way  :arrow:

Er, yes, of course;...mind you, both of which are no longer manufactured, having been outcompeted in the evolutionary cycle by the sturdier, speedier orange ones...

....But you know that nothing beats a Lightning Yellow Tiger.
Cheers,

David

99 Yellow Tiger: Triumph Exhaust, Heated Grips, Cee Bailey +6 Windscreen, Rick Mayer Saddle, Metzler Tourance Tires, Happy-Trail Panniers.

03 WR450 (lots of mods)

86 TT350 (the tank....Gone)

Maybe, to you, it seems like they're getting out of the way, but the green is just sooo bright that the other road users cannot see. So they end up through a hedge or something.

Badger

I think it's a crying shame they don't do Tigers in Nuclear Red.  :wink:
Growing Old Disgracefully