News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Gel Acid Battery

Started by MARKC, February 15, 2007, 11:36:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MARKC

Has anyone fitted one of these to their Tiger.? I believe they are made by Odyssey

Chris Canning

They don't make one for the Tiger,545 and the 680 are to big

I had one on a BMW R100GS. It fell to bits internally just out of warranty. Not worth the money IMHO.

geoff

I use a lot of Gel batteries to power instrumentation in my job. Most Gel batteries are designed for UPS's and battery powered equipment like wheel chairs. They typically do not like being held at a charge voltage over 13.8V. Most car and bike batteries run at over 14V so a GEL battery is likely to be overcharged in a bike and have a short life as a result. Also, bike and car batteries are designed to be able to provide a high current to turn the starter motors. GEL batteries will usually not be able to provide this high start current.

The Odyssey battery mentioned in some of the other posts is not a Gel battery, it is an AGM battery. AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) batteries are sealed and resistant to spills like the GEL battery, but can be treated like a regular lead acid battery. Hence AGM batteries like the Odyssey are suitable for bikes and cars as long as they are of the correct size and capacity.

Mudhen

GEL batteries like BMWs use?  Or specifically ones made by Odyssey?

I have a gel battery in my Steamer...not sure of the brand, though...
\'96 Steamer

Chris Canning

Their great batteries,did a group deal with guys of the BM board years ago,have sold loads,the only problem being Odyssey don't make one for a Tiger,i wish they did i'd get one for free!!!!