News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Lights, speedo and frogs.

Started by wormscoffer, May 30, 2006, 01:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wormscoffer

Hello all,

Last week I became the third owner of a 2000 Tiger with 8000 miles on the clock. Next week, I intend to ride it back from the UK (where I work) to France (where I live) and would like to get it registered in France.

The process seems fairly simple with the first step being to get an ETAC document. I assume this to be an acronym for European Type Approval Certificate. My research tells me that this is supplied with the bike but usually destroyed by the main dealer as it is considered surplus to requirements. I've telephoned Triumph who didn't seem to be too sure and suggested that I need to take it to a dealer to have the necessary parts changed to make is comply with French law. I've called the nearest dealer and they are perplexed too and are going to check things out and get back to me.

To get to the point....

Does anybody know any more about the process?

If anybody has continental lights and/or speedo that wants to do a straight swap for UK ones then I'd be interested.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Clemski

Hi ya,

funny enough my mate has just purchased an 885, that originally went to France and was then brought back to the UK. The point being his clocks (speedo) are still in kilometers and the lights I'm sure would not have been changed. I will try and give him a bell tonight to see if he could contact you about swapping things, if thats your best course of action, and he does'nt mind

Cheers :P
Just love riding my Tiger, anywhere and everywhere.

wormscoffer

Clemski

It may be mutually beneficial so I've PM'd you.

I've had a reply from the dealer and been told that they had to contact Triumph and that I need lights, speedo and also to have  "a French tune" applied at a total cost of £410.00. Then I'll have an invoice that I can present to Triumph customer care in order to get the ETAC document. That's before I even start on the notoriously arcane French side of the process......jeez!

If they are going to detune it then as soon as they've issued me the invoice they can tune the bloody thing back up again.

Judging by that amount of bikes on eBay being sold with Km/h clocks and lights with stickers or paint on there has to be a surplus of foreign parts with people needing UK items so I can't see any logic in having to pay anything never mind over £400.00.

Finger's crossed!

Andrew

I've read about people trying to import bikes both ways and they all said it's too much hassle. Just buy one over there.

wormscoffer

That's not much help now; as I said, I've already bought the bike!