News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

885 steamer Fuel tank vent.

Started by London_Phil, May 24, 2006, 10:33:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

London_Phil

Hi all.

I read on one post about the fuel tank on the older Tigers venting through the filler cap somehow. Haynes manual mentions a vent pipe, but I cannot see one on my '95. Anyone know how they work?

tiger feet

Hi there Phil,

There is a small hole that is in the surround between the tank recess and the filler hole it's self.

There is a pipe that runs down from it and exits with the other breather pipes behind the gearbox and in front of the swing arm pivot.

I am running from memory here so the exit point could slightly different.

I hope this helps?

Regards,

Tiger Feet.
Four wheels good, two wheels better, three wheels accident!

apache

I belive the one your refering to is the one inside the cap area for water to drain from after its washed/rained on etc. The actual tank vent on my 97 at least is on the right rear of the tank.

London_Phil

Hi All

Just an update to my query regarding fuel tank venting on my steamer.

Both Tigertfeet and Apache appear to be correct.

I removed my tank an found at the right rear a blocked hole. Cleared all the muck out, and then watched it drip for a few minutes. Gently blew air into it ( using canned air) and got lots of noise from under filler cap.

Removed the allen caps around the filler,  and one inner scre, then removed locking cap, plastic surround, metal filler ring and finally a gasket.

Of the six cap heads, 3 go into the tank, and 3 are for show. In the plastic of the filler hole there is a recessed hole, which appears to be the other end of the breather.

It looks as if the one vent does both jobs.

My next question is what should be in the hole at the rear of the tank? Some kind of fitting with a pipe on?

One thing for sure, my tank doesn't make a funny sound when lent on, and hopefully I wont suffer any mor fuel starvation issues.

Thanks again

Phil

tiger feet

Hi there,

I'll have a look at my spare tank when I'm out in the garage next time for you and report back later today

Best regards,

Tiger Feet.

PeterO

Quote from: "London_Phil"Hi All

My next question is what should be in the hole at the rear of the tank? Some kind of fitting with a pipe on?

Phil

From memory....  It's just a screw in fitting with a short length of rubber pipe attached.

I had to unblock the breather on my old steamer.  Since it lived outside all the time I started to get problems caused by the rain water which was sitting around the fuel tank filler finding it's way into the tank .   :(

Peter

tiger feet

Hi there,

Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday as promised, but I got involved in some other stuff that took much longer than I thought it would!

I will take a look at the tank tonight when I get home.

'Til later.

Best regards,

Tiger Feet.

tiger feet

Hi there,

Sorry I haven't replied sooner but I got sidetracked again and then clean forgot about it until I was in the garage again this morning!

My spare tank doesn't have a pipe fitted to, but the is a threaded hole towards the rear on the r/h/s (as you'd sit on the bike) so i'd guess that's where the vent exits the tank.

I might be taking the tank off mine shortly so will be able to let you know then if you're still interested?

A dealers parts diagram of the tank should show the vent pipe?

Best regards,

Tiger Feet.

PeterO

Quote from: "tiger feet"My spare tank doesn't have a pipe fitted to, but the is a threaded hole towards the rear on the r/h/s (as you'd sit on the bike) so i'd guess that's where the vent exits the tank.

Best regards,

Tiger Feet.

Yes that's where it comes out....

Peter

London_Phil

Hi all. Thanks for the help and info on this.

It is correct that the tank filler area vents via the right rear of the tank, but the actual petrol tank has a rather more complex route.

It still vents out via the above. but when the filler cap is closed, the actual tank is sealed from the filler area.

In fact, if you dismantle the filler cap, you will find that there is in fact a small valve assy, with two 1-way poppet valves, and a short labyrinth that allows air to travel between outside and in. the actual exit is a small hole at the back of the filler cover, directly above the open hole for the vent. The other end is a small hole in the casting above the latch, only visible if you push the seal up as if the lid was closed.

On my bike, the inlet valve for the tank was partly blocked, and the labyrinth was filling with corrosion.

Finally, if you want to do this yourselves BE WARNED, there is a tiny spring and ball at the side of the cover flap which may well dissapear during dissasembly. Remove the filler assy to a safe and clear location, and go steady. My eagle-eyed son found the spring and ball after they tried to lift into orbit!!

For some reason I cannot upload the images, but if anyone wants to see them I am happy to try again.

Thanks

Phil

Mudhen

I'd love to see the pics sometime.  Guessing my whistling Steamer is being caused by this...
\'96 Steamer