News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Quick Disconnect Fuel Line Fittings

Started by ArizonaKid, June 08, 2006, 12:57:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaKid

A couple of summers ago I had the "male" fittings replaced after one broke off at the elbow a 100 miles from nowhere in southern Utah. Fortunately it was on the return line and the Tiger ran fine with it disconnected (the male end shuts off when disconnected as well).  The dealer replaced them with the metal variety, but they left the plastic/nylon female fittings in the tank. Well, I should have knowed they would eventually give out and they did the other day on my return commute from work.  Fortunately, I made it home and was able to siphon the tank and get them out of the tank (they broke off flush with the tank) by using an "easy out" tool.  I replaced them with some really nice metal ones ($25 each!) that I got form the dealer, which will no douobt solve the problem.

Recommendation:  For those who have had the fittings or some of the fittings replaced. . .  have ALL of them replaced as soon as you can because THEY WILL FAIL!  By the way, the little o-rings are standard #6 o-rings that you can buy at any hardware or home store for pennies. They work perfectly.
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger

Apikoros

Alas, too late!   One  of my female fuel fittings has also just sheared off!

I bought the team triumph coated brass fittings, but can't get the old one out!

Where do you get an "Easy Out"?  Is there a correct size?

Thanks!

wasions

Has this been fixed?  I ride an '06.  Is this something I need to look into?  Enquiring minds want to know.
Steve

Gear up!

<*}}}><

\'06 Tiger, \'99 DR350

Apikoros

Well, I got my sheared-off plastic fitting out, but it was not easy. I went and bought a set of the helical easy-out tools, but they wouldn't grip the plastic well enough to unscrew it.

Naturally, I figured the answer was to pound the tool in harder, then I missed with the hammer and sheared off the second fitting!  Brilliant!

Finally, I gave up on the extractor and used a heated knife to cut through the plastic so I could pull it out. If anybody else tries this, be sure to place the fitting horizontally so melted plastic won't block the tube behind the fitting!   :roll:

ArizonaKid

Mines an 02 and I don't know what the newer ones come with.  There was a recall or service bulletin on these fittings and the dealer should replace them (male and female) at no charge. I don't know what years that applied to, but 02's for sure.  The fittings in question are just behind the left plastic panel on the left lower side of the tank (one fastener and it comes off).  I suggest those in doubt simply look at them and see if they're metal or plastic and have the plastic ones replaced.
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger

ix

QuoteFinally, I gave up on the extractor and used a heated knife to cut through the plastic so I could pull it out. If anybody else tries this, be sure to place the fitting horizontally so melted plastic won't block the tube behind the fitting!

You used a heated knife to cut through the plastic on a gas tank?!?  :shock:

I had this exact same problem, but my solution was to remove the whole fuel pump assembly and take it into the Triumph dealership, along with the Team Triumph metal fittings. $45 wasn't too much to pay to get someone else to risk life, limb, and more broken parts. I attached the elbow pieces myself (shoving hose fittings into hoses is simple enough even for my ham-fists).
- Ix

Apikoros

ABS plastic melts well below 150 degrees Celsius, whereas the ignition temperature of gasoline vapor is somewheres around 260 Celsius.

So when I said a hot knife, I didn't mean red hot (about 500-600 C). It should not be showing any color change at all when used.