News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Is a Tiger right for me

Started by trabling, June 14, 2006, 07:36:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trabling

Ok so I am going along planning on buying a used 1150gs waiting for the right deal and I stumble across a tiger.  

so please educate me with your opinions.  Mianly I am concerned that realisticly I can expect to get 100,000 miles out of one of these. I can keep on top of the valves and other maintance myself. Anyone heard of a triumph triple with over 100k  :) [/color]
If it anit right. fix it. if you can\'t fix it!  break it more so you can fix it.

Brother Number One

Without being too jingoistic, Triumphs are built to last and there are plenty of stories around of high milers.  My 04 will be at about 25000 by the time it goes into hybernation in Sep.  I chose the Tiger over the BMW for adventure touring and never regretted it.
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger

Clemski

The Tiger is a brilliant bike, I have owned both, and in my opinion the triple engine will outlast the twin, there was a bloke bragging about his 955i ST having just covered 110,000 miles with no problems (same engine), you won't regret getting the Tiger  :P
Just love riding my Tiger, anywhere and everywhere.

JRO

I previously rode a BMW.  Go ahead and get one... IF you like to spend all your time at the mechanic's. Broken Motor Works builds bikes to break. They're the absolute cat's meow, if expensive repairs is your interest.

Here's a real idea of what you'll face -

8,000 last Summer on a BMW... 8 weeks downtime (at least); 2 rear drives, failed tranny sensor, electical faults, ect., ect..

7,500 on a Triumph (new in Oct.)... 2 oil changes.

Big difference, for me. I'm not into the constant repair thing. My advice -

Go Triumph. It's a start'n'go kinda bike.
JRO

2006 Tiger

Patrick the Scot

I saw a 2001 Sprint St 955i that was over 100k on the clock.  The owner claimed it to be rock-solid reliable. The bike looked brand new, was well cared for, and always garaged. He said he never had and any issues outside of the normal maintainence.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS