News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Weaving

Started by kevm, May 27, 2006, 08:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevm

Took the Tiger on a 6 day, 2700 mile trip to the Catalunya RAT Raid a couple of weeks ago.   First thing to say is the Tiger performed VERY well; it was fast, comfortable and economical.  And, any fears I had about not being able to keep up were unfounded; on the twisty roads in the Pyrenees I was riding with Daytona 955s, 650s and 675, Sprint STs, etc. and has no trouble staying with them.  In fact, I reckon I was faster that when I took my Daytona on the same trip last year.  

Anyway, onto the subject of the post.  The only thing I lost out on was the silly top speed stuff.  With the panniers on I got a pronounced weave around 100mph, frequency about 2 weaves per second or so.  People following me could see it too.  It only happened on smooth straights; when accelerating braking or cornering it was OK.  Without the panniers it was gone and I got up to 120 plus no problem.  Anyone else experienced this ?

Another slight problem I had was the RH footrest mount came loose to the point of almost falling off.  When I tightened it I checked the LH one and it was slightly loose.  A bit worrying as you wouldn't want that falling off while braking for a downhill hairpin.  :shock:  Time for some loctite I think.

Oh, it's an 04 bike, last of the spoked wheels.

Chris Canning

Your always going to get problems rideing with panniers at those kind of speeds,hence why every bike(secondhand) that i've bought with e'm,i sell e'm straight away,even for two weeks on the road with my wife and myself,can get away with a tank bag and top box,and more so nowhere days not even the top box we use a round tote bag gives us more room on the bike.

I don't know about Triumph panniers but other panniers that I've owned (BMW & Krauser) have had a top speed recommendation of 80mph. I guess that it's due to aerodynamic stability problems.

The foot rest thing is quite common. Some people take the bolts out and re-fit with Loctite. I just put a nut on the back of the bolt which acts as a locknut.

tiger feet

It's not just restricted to Triumphs.

The Police seem to have problems with thier bikes when ridden fast, they have had it with various BMW's and Honda Pan Europeans.

I see bikes come past me on the M'ways I drive for work and see bikes occilating gently at high speed.

It seems to happen on most touring bikes and big trailies.

Best regards,

Tiger Feet.
Four wheels good, two wheels better, three wheels accident!

Jim S

I've run big triallies for a good few years now, five XRV 750's, a Varadero and now the Tiger. I've not experienced any issues with the boxes on my Hondas, honestly, I found the Africa twin stable up to it's top end of 115mph with or without luggage. Also the Varadero on German autobahns last year up to 130mph with full luggage was perfect.

Now, the Tiger, I have a 955i 04 reg and either with or without the luggage on I feels a bit unstable around 110mph. I've changed the tyres since so as soon as I've had a chance to try it at full speed I'll post again and let you guys know if that's made a difference, the front tyre was well worn and could possibly cause a bit of weave at speed.

Interesting subject though, I'll let you know if I find an answer. Any others found this?
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

greg

Yes, fully loaded with panniers and topbox around 90 mph. Not something I worry about though because I tend to cruise around 80 anyway. I get to keep my licence that way, which is very handy for me.
2004 Girly.

Jim S

I know the nonfango luggage I had previously stated in the literature do not exceed 80mph. I would think the Tiumph luggage would be similar, any how, due to a 28 day ban three years ago for speeding I tend to stick to around the 80 mark as well. Just thought I'd mention the odd burst of speed thing.
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

JRO

Sorry to hear you lost out on the top speed thing.  A Tiger will only do about 130-135mph.  A Daytona will do over 150mph.

...Just in case you missed that in the specs.
JRO

2006 Tiger

Jim S

Aha! I've come close to the top speed then, I've had it read just over 130mph, supported by the GPS. Not with luggage though!

Unfortunately here in the UK the rule of thumb is over 100mph is garanteed a ban, usually three months ban from driving. I was lucky and got 28 days as it was 110mph but no camera evidence only pursuit car. As I live in the country you can imagine how hard it is with no car or bike.

What roads are not covered by static GATSO cameras the rest are covered by smarmy people in little white vans with mobile cameras, most traffic patrol cars now carry lazer technology reputedly with a 3 mile range. Speeding is a great cash earner for the officials here in the UK and they've started milking it. Under 100mph will earn £60 and three points on your licence, 12 points and you earn a six month ban. A good Sunday blast you could easily pass through four cameras and be walking within the month! I passed five today on a run into Aberdeen, at the limit!

Only over 100mph once today, (rebel!) the bike seems to be more stable now, at 110 to 120mph it felt ok, no weave, only top box on. I think the front tyre might have been the issue with mine. Hope you find this interesting.
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

kevm

asked around and it's the panniers.  Don't go silly speeds unless abroad (well not much!)  so don't care. Yes I know the top speed is less but I sat on a Daytona again recently and I just thought no it's not worth the pain.

In the past I've had Krauser & BMW panniers. Both had stickers inside advising not to go above 80mph. I'd guess that the Triumph panniers are not much different aerodynamically.

Sofalofa2005

Jim S, well said about the speeding situation in the UK... I'm very cautious these days too, Usually cruise at 80-85ish and have only been over a ton on a long stretch of motorway when there's very few others about. Am quiet happy bimbling along for miles at 80mph... 4 years with no points now... had 9 at one point... still think they have very little to do with accidents though... they're just cash machines the majority of the time.

Never had a problem with weaving. I only ever went over a ton with full luggage once (for about 15 miles), bike was very stable

Russ