News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Stella alpina 2006

Started by Jim S, July 15, 2006, 01:28:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim S

Hi folks, I've just returned from Italy after taking part in the Stella Alpina rally. Basically you fire your bike up a dirt track in the Alps to over 3000m above sea level!

Just thought you'd want to hear how the Tiger handled it? Well, round trip from Scotland was 2500 miles, the actual mountain was around 35 miles of dirt track that honestly, a billygoat would struggle with! I almost dropped the Tiger twice amongst loose stones and sand. No running problems at all, the Tiger handled perfectly offroad, felt like a big moto crosser in the dirt.

The only minor niggles were the fuel sender going haywire on the return trip and the chainguard  cracking. The fuel guage would only read top of the red after refuelling, after a few miles it dropped and the petrol warning light came on although the tank was almost full. This happened a few times but is now showing fuel again. Any ideas of the cause of this?

The chainguard began to crack along the back bracket. I removed the bolt and made a stay out of a spare tent peg then bolted it back down! It's remained intact all the way home but I'll probably replace it with a stainless steel guard.

I was a bit worried about the vulnerable bits on the Tiger so will make up a belly pan to cover the oil filter and lines to the cooler, also guards for the radiator and oil cooler will be a must before tackling the mountain again! At least I've a whole year to sort it out before then next Stella!

Overall, I'm impressed with the Tiger, it did the business and then some. I've got a load of pics if anyone's interested, just e-mail me and I'll send the folder. Don't worry, it's only about 2.5mb!
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

Brother Number One

cracked chain guard?

http://www.triumph-tiger.com/phpBB2/vie ... php?t=2364

Post some pics on the forum, go on Jim. :D
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger

iansoady

Quote from: "Jim S"Hi folks, I've just returned from Italy after taking part in the Stella Alpina rally. Basically you fire your bike up a dirt track in the Alps to over 3000m above sea level!

Just thought you'd want to hear how the Tiger handled it? Well, round trip from Scotland was 2500 miles, the actual mountain was around 35 miles of dirt track that honestly, a billygoat would struggle with! I almost dropped the Tiger twice amongst loose stones and sand. No running problems at all, the Tiger handled perfectly offroad, felt like a big moto crosser in the dirt.

You're a braver man than I Gunga Jim!

QuoteThe only minor niggles were the fuel sender going haywire on the return trip and the chainguard  cracking. The fuel guage would only read top of the red after refuelling, after a few miles it dropped and the petrol warning light came on although the tank was almost full. This happened a few times but is now showing fuel again. Any ideas of the cause of this?

I have exactly the same problem - interestingly enough a recent trip to France cured it whilst I was there! My current theory is that the float in the sender tube is sticking. I checked the resistance and it was around 90 ohms. See http://www.triumphrat.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Forum&file=viewtopic&topic=43648&forum=40 for a discussion........
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Foxy

Re the fuel sender, I had similar symptoms on mine after I put her in a hedge. Sorted itself out once I'd run the tank low & refuelled.

Jim S

In reply guys, ok, the hugger? I'd have it in bits first week! There's not enough clearance you see, mud with stones stuck in the tread would tear it apart in clay ground. The tyre can take up to an inch of extra circumference caused by the clay mud. I've seen Africa Twins almost jam their front wheels with mud due to clearance issues. I'll put up with the mud flap thingy!

The chainguard, well, the vibration of offroad caused it to split same place as the one on that link. They're obviously not up to severe offroad use. I reckon the best way forward is a stainless one from some of those guys on the internet, they also do the radiator and oil cooler guards so I'll go down that road. I'll still need to make up a belly pan though, after seeing two bikes with holed crank cases (Beemer and Harley) on the Sunday I wouldn't want to do that!

The fuel sender, well, after five refuels it's still acting up, I could see the point if it had been lying a while but I was filling to the neck every day, sometimes twice?

Lastly, pictures, I'll try and find the time to make a page for my website, you would be amazed by the video I've got of running down the Col de Galiber on the Monday after the rally! Only problem it's 100mb! I don't think I could host that!

Damn this Tiger sounds so cool! You hear it hit the rev limiter a couple of times.  :twisted:

There were around four Tigers there, my Orange one, a couple of black ones and a blue one, there may have been more but there were several hundred bikes there. One gripe though, the only stand at the bottom of the mountain was BMW  :cry:  I saw at least a dozen Africa Twins and half a dozen Varderos, Lots of KTM's as well, but no Honda or Triumph official stands just Beemer.

Right, I'm off to design a web page!
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

Brother Number One

Be good to see those mods.  Personally, I'd be more keen to make my bike more tamper-proof.  I could do with stopping interested hands making it so easily into the oil and coolant fillers.
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger

Jim S

Hi guys, ok, I made a new page on my website last night and stuck in some of the best pics of the event. There are a lot more but these show the basic idea of what went on.

Follow this link and you should be able to see the Tiger at it's best! No action pics though, not easy to get off the bike when you're having so much fun!

Enjoy!

http://www.jamessimpson.dsl.pipex.com/S ... alpina.htm
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

Brother Number One

We must have been at the top at a similar time because I too saw the mad Brit with the ZX6R. Great weather this year. Last time I went 2002 it was pissing down!

Jim S

The mad Brit's name is Steve, he was camping in the tent next to me across from the liesure centre. Got to give him credit, not a bad achievment for a sports bike!

Was yours the Tiger with the screen panels fitted to the sides of the fairing? I wanted to ask if it made a big difference to the damned wind noise? I saw the bike down at the station and then on the hill but never got round to asking about it. I reckon that's where most of the noise comes from. I'd consider that mod if it made a big difference.

The weather was ideal on the day. I wasn't sure how it was going to go on Friday as it was a bit grey and overcast. Brightened up nicely though.

Hope you enjoyed yourself? Marcus that was with me on the Varadero wants to make going over an annual event, I'm thinking about it. Hope to see you on the Stella again mate.
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

Quote from: "Jim S"Was yours the Tiger with the screen panels fitted to the sides of the fairing? I wanted to ask if it made a big difference to the damned wind noise? I saw the bike down at the station and then on the hill but never got round to asking about it. I reckon that's where most of the noise comes from. I'd consider that mod if it made a big difference.

Yep! That's me.

I found that a lot of air flows up from that area. I think it does make a difference. I tried several taller screens (Triumph touring, Touratech, 2x Ceebaileys) which made a bit of a difference but not enough to satisfy me. Those extra bits deflected the wind away from the sides of my neck, under my helmet where most wind noise is generated.

With the fitting of the sports screen recently, I just left them on.  They probably make no difference at all because the wind hits at upper chest level anyway with the sports screen.

As for going again. I like to go every 2 years or so (1998, 2000,2002), but that does depend on work a bit. If I've got a long weekend falls right on the work roster, I'll go. We'll have to make a post here next year and see if we can arrange a Tiger convoy going up the Sommeiller.