News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Problem installing heated grips

Started by NortonCharlie, October 10, 2003, 03:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NortonCharlie

I finally got my grips and installed them yesterday.  I had a little problem on the Throttle side.  When I installed the bar end weight it bound up the throttle.  I pulled it all back apart and everything looks right I think.  The housing with the switches has a pin molded in that fits in a hole in the bars and that controls the position of everything.  For the time being I put a washer on to shim the bar end weight further out.  I'll check it out with the dealer today.  Anyone have any experience with this?

It was a pretty straight forward job.  I need to pull the throttle side off again.  I didn't grease where the grip meets the bar.  It seemed like I should but the instructions didn't call for it.  

The other trick was getting the wires through the bars.  When the instructions said to put the wires into the end of the bar and out the little hole on the bottom I thought that might be a bit tricky.  After thinking for a minute or 2 I grabbed an old bicycle cable stuck it through the little hole in the bottom and out the end.  Taped the wire up to it and pulled it through.  I suppose this would have been immediately obvious to any electrician but I had to strain my little mind over it for a minute and actually stick the wire in the end of the bar and see if it magically found its way out the hole.  It didn't.  

All said and done I spent about 2 hours installing them.  Could have done faster but it seemed the perfect opportunity to clean some stuff up.  In the poll I voted for the centerstand as my favorite accessory,  these grips come in a close second and that tank bag is very handy.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

My Tiger came with 2 washers under the bar end weight to space it out. If you take them out you get a cruise control friction grip. Your choice.

You will find that the grip will bind when the heat is turned on due to expansion. Use as many washers as necessary.