News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger Rear shock - replacement

Started by gsp0702, September 04, 2006, 11:10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gsp0702

Ok guys the rear shock has collapsed on the tiger, and its currently trying to do an impersonation of Harley Roadster not very impressive, so question is how much of a DIY job is fitting a replacemnet any special tools needed? How Much of the back end needs to come of? Any assitance would be appreciated.

Forgot to mention 995i 02 model.

Bruincounselor

It's pretty easy to do. It takes effort to get everything out of the way, but once in there it's straightforward. Be sure not to lose the needle bearings on the lower end of the shock.

My problem is getting a shock. Hagon won't make one for me. Something about my mass (250lb + gear) blowing the damping. I'm still looking for suggestions that are less $$ than Ohlins.

Bruin

Quote from: "gsp0702"Ok guys the rear shock has collapsed on the tiger, and its currently trying to do an impersonation of Harley Roadster not very impressive, so question is how much of a DIY job is fitting a replacemnet any special tools needed? How Much of the back end needs to come of? Any assitance would be appreciated.

Forgot to mention 995i 02 model.
Bruin\'

gsp0702

Well took my first look at it last night and biggest problem is getting something on the lower mounting points nut, as at present that is turning with the bolt, and access is restricted/prevented by the exhaiust system. and isnt improved by removing the end can assembly. Jacking the seing arm up didnt help and all i can see to do is remove the entire exhaust system which seems to mean removing the oil cooler and rad. Unless someone else has any ideas.

If you havent already tried them there is a company called EMC i have seen them listed as making shocks for Tigers on some sites slightly more expensive than Hagon ie 30 GBP.

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "gsp0702"Well took my first look at it last night and biggest problem is getting something on the lower mounting points nut, as at present that is turning with the bolt, and access is restricted/prevented by the exhaiust system. and isnt improved by removing the end can assembly. Jacking the seing arm up didnt help and all i can see to do is remove the entire exhaust system which seems to mean removing the oil cooler and rad. Unless someone else has any ideas.

If you havent already tried them there is a company called EMC i have seen them listed as making shocks for Tigers on some sites slightly more expensive than Hagon ie 30 GBP.

On my '00 the cat is seperate from the header pipes. You do have to remove the cat to get at the lower bolt.

Thanks for the shock suggestion, where can I find them?

Bruin'
Bruin\'

gsp0702

2004Tiger

also look at

http://www.bike-revival.co.uk/monoshock.html

All of the makes offered here cost about the same, expensive.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

gsp0702

Good news is i have the top and bottom bolts out, the top part of the old shock has budged quite happily, but the bottom linkages is stuck wont budge even giving it some welly with a hammer and a breaker bar as a drift. currently soaking WD40 see if that helps. But any suggestions other than brute force and ignorance wouldbe appreciated.

gsp0702

Well i am stuck at the moment 80% of the old shock is out, bottom link well and truly stuck rock solid in the swing arm. Looking at the bolt hole seems to be a bush/collar running through the bottom link and part way either side of the swing arm. If this is right how do i get it out? Any suggestions help gratefully received.

iansoady

If you can get the swinging arm out then you'll be able to support it against something solid when you belt it. Whilst you're doing it in situ most of your effort is going into bending various bits which then spring back.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650