News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Thermostat on a Tiger?

Started by ArizonaKid, August 31, 2006, 11:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaKid

This may seem like a silly question, but is there a thermostat to keep the coolant temp at a constant operating temp on the Tiger?  I was reading (here I think) of someone whose Tiger had a faulty temp relay that was fouling up the FI and causing it to run poorly (overly rich).  Got me to thinking that my Tiger's temp goes up and down with the outside air temp and in cold weather is often just off the peg and never seems to rise to what I would consider normal operating temperature.  Seems like there should be a thermostat (similar to a car) in the motor's circulatory system that would allow it to reach an operating temp and then open appropriately to keep it at or near that temp.  Anyway, just wondering.  I've never had the occasion to break in to the cooling system and no, I don't have a shop manual (I'll get one I promise).  Thanks.
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger

geotiger

The thermostat is in a housing just behind the radiator cap on the left side of the bike.  

BTW, I had my coolant temp sensor replaced too as it was working sporadically and caused the FI to over richen the mixture causing a very noticable stalling.  New sensor and no problems so far.  Also installed the Off-road FI tune even with the stock muffler on and it seems to have smoothed a lot of the previously rough spots out.

Good Luck

Nate
"The one thing we can learn from history is that we don\'t learn from history." - Shaw