News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

I dropped me Tiger!

Started by Jim S, September 11, 2006, 01:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim S

I went out for a run today, the weather was beautiful up here in the N.E of Scotland. Ended up in Inverness. Visited friends until dark then headed home. I decided to stop for a break off the road, front wheel hit gravel and down she went!

Landed on it's left side. Ok, took three attempts to lift it as the front wheel kept sliding away from me. Damage? Left side crash bar is scratched, good job I bought a new tin of satin black hammerite last week!

So, the home made crash bars did the job. No tank damage, not even an indicator. The back peg carried the rear, a bit scratched but hardly noticible. crash bar took the brunt. Modelled on the Touratech design, can't praise them enough.

Ok, a touch up with satin black and all will be well again. Triumph's wearing well to my treatment, only damage through wear are the hero blobs on the footpegs, I've torn off the left side and the right one is bent at a funny angle, a few more hits and it'll be gone as well! Otherwise the bike's like new.  :wink:
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

DirtBiker

Good thing the tank was saved I can even think how much one of those would cost to replace. I have got to get me some engine gaurds :-k

The pegs are wearing out from dragin?

You the man!

Toby

Jim S

First time bike's been downed, front peg didn't get damaged, back one and crash bar took the bike.

I've lost the left hero blob completely, right side has scuff marks but now has a weird bend,  I don't think it's a clearance issue, just over zelous on my part!

Ok, never been to the States but they tell me you've no roundabouts on your roads? Well, we've plenty of them! The Tiger grinds the right peg almost every time! I'm not so good with the left side, but the right, first my boot touches, little more the hero blob touches, little more and the whole peg starts to lift! I'm using Michelin Anakees and can honestly say I've never felt the bike move on lean.

I'm going to source a set of titanium replacements, they say they light up on impact! Cool!  :twisted:
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

iansoady

Quote from: "Jim S"I decided to stop for a break off the road, front wheel hit gravel and down she went!

Join the club mate. Maybe we should have a special badge made with a recumbent Tiger on it....

QuoteSo, the home made crash bars did the job.

Any pics (or even better drawings) of these? I'm considering doing the same myself as 13mm steel tube is cheap enough.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Jim S

I just looked at all the pics available of Touratech ones and based them on that. I could easily take some pics of mine and mail them to you?

I'm not a whizz on autocad or I would draw up plans. Galvanized conduit seems best, the stone chips don't rust the same. I've heaps of it lying around the farm as a rewire resulted in a lot of it converted to plastic.

I heated it with a blow lamp and bent it in the vice to shape with a  scaffold pole for leverage, a couple of flat plates for brackets and welded the lot together. Next move is a bash plate for the underside. Looks like more conduit bolted to the mainstand fixings and then on to the crashbars with a sheet of aluminium in between. I'm also working on radiator guards from mesh used by boy racers for grilles.

I just fitted my "rallye" headlight guard last week from a shopping basket and it looks well! I hope it proves to be as worthwhile as the crashbars!
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

iansoady

Quote from: "Jim S"I just looked at all the pics available of Touratech ones and based them on that. I could easily take some pics of mine and mail them to you?

that'd be great - no particular hurry as it'll be winter before I even think of doing it. mailto:iansoady@waitrose.com">iansoady@waitrose.com is the email address.

QuoteI'm not a whizz on autocad or I would draw up plans. Galvanized conduit seems best, the stone chips don't rust the same.

I'd be a bit worried about welding galvanised - don't the fumes send you round the bend or something? I have a good local supplier of steel tubes etc. I guess ordinary mild steel would do the trick.

QuoteI'm also working on radiator guards from mesh used by boy racers for grilles.

I just fitted my "rallye" headlight guard last week from a shopping basket and it looks well! I hope it proves to be as worthwhile as the crashbars!

A man after my own heart. Why pay for something when you can knock it together yourself out of a bunch of scrap!
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Jim S

If you grind off the galvanizing at the weld areas you don't get the fumes!

although, I'm still here to tell the tale from previous escapades with galvanizing, but it doesn't half make your eyes water!

As they're to be painted any way, it doesn't really matter. I found mild steel ones tend to pick with rust due to stone chips though.

Any way, I've attacked the bits with the grinder and painted them up with hammerite smooth satin black and there's no ill effects to the Tiger. Also gave it a wash and polish!

Time to go to work any way, hope the paint's dry! Ian, I'll mail you pics, in fact, I'll send the shopping basket ones as I've finished them. I'll take new pics of the crash bars and send them ASAP mate.
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

DirtBiker

Quote from: Jim SOk, never been to the States but they tell me you've no roundabouts on your roads? Well, we've plenty of them! The Tiger grinds the right peg almost every time! I'm not so good with the left side, but the right, first my boot touches, little more the hero blob touches, little more and the whole peg starts to lift! I'm using Michelin Anakees and can honestly say I've never felt the bike move on lean.

quote]

Yeah we got a couple, very small ones. I'll still give ya props right now the only way I'll wear mine down is to take a disc grinder to em.