News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Voila

Started by geotiger, August 28, 2006, 03:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geotiger

Hey all,

Some of you may remember I have been having some problems with my 05 with just over 6000 miles.  It recently has been cutting out intermittently going down the road around 30-40, but could cut out at any speed.  The last time it did this it through the check engine light.  

Finally got it to Albuquerque (PJ's Triumph--Top Notch!!!) for the 6k service, new front rotors, and to check the engine light.

Found the the code was Low Coolant Temp.  After thinking about all the symptoms I had been experiencing, we figured out that the coolant temp sensor was sporadically not reading right and made the computer think the temp was low and wanted to dump fuel to richen the mixture which then flooded the engine.  

So replaced the coolant temp sensor and all seems to be fine now (hope it lasts this time).

Also, they installed the Off-road FI map with my stock silencer on.  So far it seems to be smoother in all the rpm ranges but it takes a little more to get off the clutch.

Thanks for your help.

Nathan
"The one thing we can learn from history is that we don\'t learn from history." - Shaw

german

Hi Geotiger,

I would apparciate if you can tell me which are the front rotors and why you replaced it?

Thanks.
Tiger 05´, Tiger 09´ ABS, CB550 76´

geotiger

Quote from: "german"Hi Geotiger,

I would apparciate if you can tell me which are the front rotors and why you replaced it?

Thanks.

The front brake rotors were warped and were giving a pulsing in the brake lever and a shake to the bike when applying the front brakes.

They replaced them under warranty and I guess this is a somewhat common problem.

Nathan
"The one thing we can learn from history is that we don\'t learn from history." - Shaw

Fonimu

len

Hi Nathan,

I am having a similar problem with surging on a 2001 Tiger, could you give some more details on what you felt with the "cutting out" of the engine. On mine it feels like I lose power and then get it back again.

Thanks

Len

geotiger

Quote from: "len"Hi Nathan,

I am having a similar problem with surging on a 2001 Tiger, could you give some more details on what you felt with the "cutting out" of the engine. On mine it feels like I lose power and then get it back again.

Thanks

Len

Len,

The "cutting out" I experienced felt like I was giving too much gas on a cold carbureted engine.  One time I was at a stop light and went to go, gave the bike some gas and it just sat there and shook and tried to move but was just crawling then it picked up and ran fine.  Later that morning I was going about 40 mph and the bike "cut out" (for about 3 seconds) and felt like it died, held the throttle where it was and it came back.  This would happen periodically and I would notice that the coolant gauge was not working most of the time this happened.  That is how we figured it was a faulty coolant temp sensor.  

I don't know if my lack of descriptive abilities helped you or not.  

Are you experiencing any weird idle with your surging?  The service manager at PJ's Triumph said they have had to replace the intake gasket on several bikes that had erratic idling.  I don't know if that would cause any surging.  

Additionally, I have read that surging could be caused by the lean fuel map Triumph installs to pass emissions test??  Some have had the Off-road FI map installed on the ECM even with the stock silencer on and it seems to have helped.  I had this done, and I can say it seems to run smoother throughout the RPM range.

Just a few ideas, and hopefully I helped.

Nathan

len

Thanks Nathan , those were some great ideas, I shall work through them with the dealer as they have just gone for a short test ride, and could not find a problem.... typical of all problems I guess...!!!

german

Dear Nathan,

Your report is interesting, I have been working in one tiger 02 and it has a similar problem.

Can you tell me where is located the intake gasket?

Thanks for your help.

Germ?n
Tiger 05´, Tiger 09´ ABS, CB550 76´

wtrlogd

PJ's Triumph ?

Just today, I dropped my '05 off there, for the 12K service (it's at 15.5K).

Moved to Santa Fe a few weeks ago, PJ's Triumph is the only show in town.

Good to hear good things about a shop while your bike is sitting there.
2005 Triumph Tiger

1997 ATK605DS

geotiger

german,

The gaskets I was referring to are the ones between the throttle bodies and the engine.

wtrlogd,

I hope you have as good an experience as I did!  Mike in service is real good and will listen to any ideas/suggestions you may have.  Let me know how things go.  Also, the clothing sales girls are not bad on the eyes either!!!  :wink:

Good luck,

Nathan

wtrlogd

geotiger,

Just picked up the Tiger, it's good to go! They even washed it  :o

Yes, Mike was good to work with, and even offered to show me some local riding areas, I have a new carb coming, next week, for the ATK605DS, may have them tune it.

Oh, and there was some eye candy in the sales room.
2005 Triumph Tiger

1997 ATK605DS