News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2001 Tiger Surging on Highway

Started by len, September 14, 2006, 02:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

len

Hi All,

I have a 2001 Tiger that has 23,500 miles on the clock, so far everything has worked very well, but unfortunately I am starting to notice some issues with surging. When I accelerate the bike pulls cleanly without any power issue, when I chop the throttle, the bike does not backfire or "hiccup", however when I hold the throttle at a steady position the bike surges, i.e. losses power and then powers up, losses power and then takes off again.

This is an intermittent problem that has been getting worse, and seems to be especially noticeable on the highway when I am running a constant speed. Last night I lost power on the wrong side of two semi-trucks and after silently screaming for a second or two with no power I decided that I had better look into the problem.

I have a couple of ideas about what might be the problem, but I really don't know, so I thought that I would throw the question out and see if anybody else has had the same problems....?

Thanks in advance

Len

2004Tiger

Strange. Computer-controlled (grrr) bikes with FI are programmed to run lean at constant throttle or on deceleration. This causes popping on deceleration. It can also cause surging at constant throttle as the computer hunts for the right setting. My 2004 Tiger doesn't do this, only pops on deceleration. Perhaps your "hunting" is so out of wack it feels like cutting out. Some owners install the off-road program to eliminate the decel popping, have you done this?

I can think of two possible remedies: First, install an upgraded program either the 2006 road or off road. Second, syncronize the throttle bodies.

Lastly, your e-prom chip or oxygen sensor may be failing and need replacement.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

len

I have not installed the off-road map, as far as I know it has the original map installed from 2001. The hunting you describe could be the issue as it feels as though the bike does not quite know how much gas it should feed in. The decel popping that you describe does occur when I chop the throttle hard, can I run the off-road map on a road exhaust? Would this help the surging issue?

You also mention looking at the throttle bodies, could you describe why that could cause the issue, (it would help me when I take a closer look at them). The e-prom chip and/or oxygen sensor, if this were failing could it cause issues just at constant throttle or would it cause problems no matter how I was riding.... would the "gameboy" be able to find this type of fault?

Thanks in advance

Len

2004Tiger

Erico Motorsports in Denver would install the off-road map for me regardless of the type of exhaust, and I have heard that the off-road map performs well with the standard can. They are interested in customer satisfaction and bike performance, not in government regulations. This map or the new and improved 2006 road map may or may not remedy the surging, but it is the easiest and cheapest thing to try.

The throttle bodies if out of synch will feed unequal amounts of fuel to the cylinders possibly resulting in rough running and incomplete combustion which would confuse the oxygen sensor.

If you read between the lines you will see that my answer to all your questions is "maybe." A dealer computer diagnosis might provide more definitive answers, or maybe a gameboy.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

len

Sure I understand, and I appreciate the help, I was just wondering what the limits of the gameboy are so that I can rule things out myself that it cannot check, before I take it to the dealer. At least that was the plan..... some of the other items you mentioned are beyond my limited ability, so it looks like a trip to the dealer for the first round and see what happens from there.