News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

My bike shuts off mid-ride. Anyone seen this before? Ideas

Started by klrbill, August 22, 2006, 07:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klrbill

Similar issue to that in a post a bit earlier by tjmoore except for a few details.  Also thought my title may get different people viewing:

In the past two rides I've had my bike totally shut off mid-ride.  When mine happens I get a yellow check engine and a yellow gas gauge light while the motor is dead, and it tends to happen only for maybe 1 or 2 seconds and then the motor kicks back on and it rides totally as normal.  I do think one time the two idiot lights stayed on for a few seconds after the motor had kicked back on.

Its happening more and more often, and I'm starting to think it happens when I hit bumps.  Wondering if it could be the kickstand sensor being too sensitive?  That makes me wonder if anyone has outlined a procedure for bypassing all the safety crap on these things?  

Anyhow wanted to throw my specifics out there and ask if anyone had seen them before.  Any thoughts?
Sincerely,

KLR Bill

acollbpse

I like the sidestand switch idea - that's a good place to check.  I haven't checked mine to see what the connector at the switch looks like but it should be easy enough to jump out for testing purposes.

Kill switch & wiring is another one to check and assuming this thing has an EFI relay that could be it to (know anybody with the service manual and a full electrical schematic)?

If you've got a centerstand I'd put the bike up on the stand, start it up and put it in gear and then try 'percussion therapy' for suspect parts.  Rap on the sidestand switch with a screwdriver handle and see if it kills it.  Wiggle harness wires at the sidestand, at the kill switch and the ignition switch.  Wiggle the key in the switch, rap on the EFI relay if you can find it, and last but not least, try rapping/wiggling fuses in the fuse-box.

Good luck!
2001 Tiger 955i

1986 FZ750

NortonCharlie

Check the immobilizer (alarm jumper) under the seat at the back.  Make sure it is tight and the contacts clean.  A little dielectric grease on the connections is a good idea.  

The side stand switch does sound like a likely culprit.  But the kick stand is a long way from the switch when it is up.  I had a problem with mine sticking but that was a problem when I 1st started out after putting the stand up.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

acollbpse

Thanks for putting that one in there, I forgot about it.  If you've got the datatool alarm like mine, you might want to get a 2lb framing hammer when you test it (and something sturdy to test it against).  If you've got an alarm that you actually like, the screwdriver tapping will work best.
2001 Tiger 955i

1986 FZ750

klrbill

Thanks.  Looked at the kickstand switch and...the design doesn't obviously lend itself to failure though I guess the part could be failing anyhow internally.

But I'll try all the suggestions here and see what I can see.
Sincerely,

KLR Bill

klrbill

Solved.  Didn't have time and took it to the dealer, and learned a good lesson: even on a computer bike problems can be something simple.  Turned out the battery holddown strap had severed and the battery was moving around; the positive battery cable worked itself loose and was making intermittent contact.  I don't know the specific reason this was causing the bike to shut off but I assume it was causing the ECM to go nuts.  Can tell you the bike is puring now.  It had gotten to the point I couldn't go 1/2 a mile without a shutdown, and I had about a 10 mile ride without a hint of hichup on the way home.

Not too bad going to the dealer anyhow.  They did a couple service bulliten (recall) updates, like a new wiring subharness so some of the wires wouldn't melt and things like that, plus they downloaded me the latest EFI tune and checked my radiator fluid (suspecting it was watery base on the overflow contents).  All that was free.  I got out of there for $140.  On one hand, a lot to tighten up a battery cable and pop in a new battery hold down.  On the other hand when's the last time you ever spent $140 for motorcycle service?  Plus, they could have told me it was the ECM or something else and charged me a million bucks, right?  I might feel different if they hadn't done some free stuff but I was pretty happy.  

Work done at:

Manayunk Triumph Motorcycles

4026 Main St

Philadelphia, PA 19127-2112

(215) 482-8020

They also mentioned to me that they are planning to move probably around the 1st of the new year, to Oreland PA where the Moon's Tire center use to be on Pennsylvania Ave.  Convenient for me since I live pretty close to there.  :)
Sincerely,

KLR Bill