News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Chain stretch?

Started by SavageTodd, September 24, 2006, 02:32:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SavageTodd

Just got home from the Tiger Ride-IN. Put about 3400mi over the 6 days out and back. When starting to clean the Tiger tonight I noticed how much slack was in the chain. Not sure how to measure it but it seems like too much and certainly alot more then it had before. Probably 3-4 inches up/down  from the center of the lower part of the chain.

It's my first chain-driven bike so maybe it's normal wear and I just need to correct it. Let me know.
2000 Tiger 900 - Black

2000 Vstar 1100 classic

2004Tiger

What year is your Tiger? Do you lubricate every 200 miles? My 2004 Tiger Owner's Handbook says chain slack should be between 1.37 and 1.57 inches measured midway between sprockets with the bike on the center stand. Also "If the chain is badly worn or incorrectly adjusted (either too loose or too tight) the chain could jump off the sprockets or break."

To inspect for wear measure the length of 20 links on a taut chain. From the centre of the first pin to the centre of the 21st pin should not exceed 12.63 inches.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

The Tiger needs a MINIMUM of 2" of slack in the chain due to the amount of suspension movement.  If it's the first 3400 miles then it's normal for a chain to "wear in" at first. Then the wear should settle down. I'd recommend a Scottoiler. I fitted one from new and it helped my first chain go for 33000 miles. I find that my chain need adjustment every 2000 miles.