News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Windscreen Discussion

Started by Distracted Dibit, October 16, 2003, 05:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Distracted Dibit

I've been researching for a while for a new taller windscreen for reduced buffeting/noise etc. Here is what I've found. If you've used one of these screens, post your experiences. Or if you've another source for screens let us know.

In no particular order...

Triumph Standard Screen - (looking for a good image of this screen, but most of us know what this looks like and how much it sucks already.) :roll:

Triumph Tall Screen

Triumph Tall Screen - (Image from Jack Lilley)

Jack Lilley Screen

Jack Lilley Screen Comparison with Triumph Tall Screen - (Images from triumphtigerlist.org -> photos -> bodywork)

Jack Lilley Screen Comparison with Triumph Tall Screen

Jack Lilley Screen Side View

Givi Tall Screen Comparison with Triumph Standard Screen - (Images from triumphtigerlist.org -> photos -> bodywork)

TM Accessories (Site in German) - (Image from TM Accessories web site)

Cee Bailey Screen - (Images by MikeF from Cee Bailey's wind screen thread)

Cee Bailey Screen

Touratech Screen - (Image from Touratech-USA)[/url]

RobZ

Quote from: "Distracted Dibit"Givi Tall Screen Comparison with Triumph Standard Screen - (Images from triumphtigerlist.org -> photos -> bodywork)

I kow this pic  :D

I have had the Givi screen on for 2 years now. It moves most of the wind to just over my helmet. I still get some pressure on the chest and a fare ammount on the shoulders. I'm 6' @ 195lbs.

Did 1000 miles in 21 hours with this screen and it helped a lot.

There is still a large wind noise requiring ear plugs.

Compared to stock I give it an A+ although I like the stock lean mean look.

AK Tiger

Has anyone had experience with the Jack Lilly windscreen ... either good or bad?

Darrell
Darrell
IBA 16091
2005 Tiger
2002 Tiger (Deceased - Killed by a suicidal caribou)

TigerTrax

You would be suprised as to how much helmet buffeting comes from air deflecting off your mirrors!

Simply place your hand in the windstream between the mirror and you. Air slips off the fairing into the mirror and deflects towards you.

I hav often felt that mirrors mounted up on the fairing like sport bikes would solve that problem .... don't know if one would lose any field of rear vision.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

BigDave

I am 6'5"

I have the Triumph tall screen.  When it comes to buffeting, its horrible.  I don't really care that much since I ride helmet shield down, and ear plugs all the way in.  Without them and/or with the screen up, its pathetic.  I like the better protection it offers vs. the stock windscreen.

The stock screen is much easier to take when it comes to buffeting, but its colder on the shoulders.  Come late Spring it will be back on.

I wasted $160 on a sports screen.  I hated it.  The buffeting was better, but it was a full blast in the face.  Felt like I was on a Speed Triple.  I'll sell that to anyone who wants it.

I wouldn't mind something better.  Just not sure I want something as tall as the Jack Lilley.

skoron

Ah Dave?

"I wasted $160 on a sports screen. I hated it. The buffeting was better, but it was a full blast in the face. Felt like I was on a Speed Triple. I'll sell that to anyone who wants it."

Hope your not in sales cause this wasn't a raving endorsement!!   :roll:

Skoron  :wink:
The ride\'s the thing, travel too fast and you miss the reason.

BigDave

Quote from: "skoron"Ah Dave?

"I wasted $160 on a sports screen. I hated it. The buffeting was better, but it was a full blast in the face. Felt like I was on a Speed Triple. I'll sell that to anyone who wants it."

Hope your not in sales cause this wasn't a raving endorsement!!   :roll:

Skoron  :wink:

Yeah, I actually thought about that.  But somebody will just want it whether I like it or not.  You'll see.  :)

skoron

Dave:

Ah, let's do some clean up work...

Big Dave, is BIG DAVE (6'5" correct?)

The sport screen may be to low for Dave, but I have talked to a couple of guys with the newer Tiger (regular folk around 6' or less) and they love the sport screen during hot summer.  Breaks up the wind, especially at speed but keeps some air moving around you to cool you off.

Skoron
The ride\'s the thing, travel too fast and you miss the reason.

BigDave

See skoron, all you need is a 955i & you'll be the one buying my sports screen!  :shock:

I have a Touratech taller screen. (there's one you guys missed) It is about the same height as the Triumph touring screen but is the same thickness as the std. screen so doesn't flex the fairing.

It too is still not right.

I think the problem with ALL these screens is that they all bend upwards towards the top. This is bound to make turbulence as the wind bends over the top to fill the vacuum behind.

I believe that what we need is a screen that continues the curve of the lower portion of the std. screen but comes up to the height of the taller screens shown above. This would allow the wind to stay smooth. It would also end up closer to the rider thus giving the wind less time/distance to get turbulent before hitting the riders head.

I'm going to the bike show in UK next month armed with a std. screen and a tape measure. I intend to find a screen off another bike that I can cut to fit. If I do, I'll post my results here.

Distracted Dibit

Quote from: "Blacktiger"I have a Touratech taller screen. (there's one you guys missed)

Here is the Touratech screen. Looks kinda like the Givi or the Jack Lilley screens to me.

Blacktiger, do you have any good pics of your screen?

Touratech Screen - (Image from Touratech-USA)[/url]

Also amended original post above.

BigDave

Cee Baileys is very agressive in helping us solve this issue.

See details in this thread. http://www.triumph-tiger.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=69