News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

oh no...

Started by erwinvw, October 17, 2006, 05:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erwinvw

Looks like this bike is gonna suck some money out of me...

Needs  head gasket replaced...along with a breather disc and disc seal.

I noticed coolant weeping from two cylinders.. go worse last week or so.

I had been riding it, but dont think I've put many miles on it since. The oil was milky looking so that tipped me off..

Hopefully no internal damage done..

I'm getting the head gasket and other things done and listing this bloody hting for sale.. sorry. Like the bike but too many little nagging things for a bike thats in otherwise great condition.

anyone know how much I'm gonna drop for headgasket and dealer repair?

Advwannabe

Hi Erwinvw,

Sorry to hear about your bad run, hope you can get it sorted without too big a slug.

At the risk of upsetting you further, this won't finish up being a case of you fixing everything then the next guy gets the good bike is it?

Just something to consider before you unload it. In my limited time as  a Triumph owner I've heard a few horror stories but generally they seem pretty good. Can this one be turned?

Cheers
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Quote from: "erwinvw"anyone know how much I'm gonna drop for headgasket and dealer repair?

How can we post a reply to this when we don't know where you are? Fill out the membership details so the we'll know whether you're £ or $.

erwinvw

sorry.

I'm in Canada.

you can post british pounds if you like as I can figure it out well enough roughly..

I genuinely do like the bike and it's capabilities...It's just the waiting for parts,,, and some small faults I've had. I have it listed locally for sale only because I was planning on a different bike for next year and can't afford two.

But now after I fix it, I'll likely hang on to it...

I've got some guys that are willing to help me do the work,, so it might not be so bad..

I'm just worried of any internal damage.

I'll be draining the oil and coolant this weekend.

Anything else I should do?

jpattigr

Erwinvw

I grew up in Halifax and was back this past Aug and visited Bro's Cycle (local Triumph dealer) well down in Windsor. They seemed like real nice folks and would be easy to do biz with.

I hope you get your ride fixed up as it would be the perfect bike for NS with all the curves and potholes!!

Wish I had mine there on the trip1

Best of luck!

TigerTrax

If your dealer has a hard time getting parts to you on a timely basis...

call Kevin at Baxter Cycle in IOWA  USA.... google them on the net...

they have more Triumph parts than Triumph!  

They ship worldwide new 7 vintage!

( They've got about 60 vintage Brit bikes in their showroom!)
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

3Rider

Sorry too hear about the bad luck, Erv.

I've had a great time on my "new" '99 this year - - Georgian Bay, White Mountains, Green Mountains, northerm tip of James Bay (a little bit further and I would have seen Nunavut had I not run out of road,) potholes, curves, deep sand, moose, shreik-inducing gravel... (I do wish the picture-posting feature worked on this site to save me a thousand words or two.) Despite almost never touching the bike except for long trips, I've run up 10,000 km since April and only put it away last week when the steering suddenly got light in a curve and the sound of rain on my helmet took on a more sinister thwacking sound.  The only problem I've had was a stale battery one morning after a month of neglect.

My riding friend with the most experience (EX500, Katana, R1, FZ1) is so impressed with the concept of this do-anything bike that he leaves in two weeks for Spain to take the official BMW adv-tourer riding course for 5 days: He's determined to buy a GS in the spring. He'll pay almost twice as much for his flat-block schnitzel as we did for our three-link bangers and I'll bet he and I will lower ourselves from our bikes each day equally sated.

The breached engine seal is serious business. But I haven't seen any other reference to that problem. Either it's a fluke or the whole machine was bolted together by some malt-addled misfit on a Friday afternoon before a long weekend. Time for sober second thought, I agree. But you found it early.

No one needs a bike and they're not cost-effective. The question is, do you like it?

If not, grab this excuse to go try another taste of honey elsewhere; God knows we can't do it in marriage.

But if you like the feel, the exclusivity, the thumbs-up from the eight-year-olds and the craned necks of the Lexus-drivers, the eye-to-eye with the mini-van drivers and the irrelevance of parking-lot medians, stick with us. There are almost no bikes out there of this type and, in Hinckley it seems, there will be no more.

You seem to be having an unusually British experience. All I can say is, Stiff upper lip!

Rob

from Ottawa
...fearful symmetri