News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Started by tcbezza, October 14, 2006, 09:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcbezza

Hi I have been lurking in the background for some time and thought I should introduce myself, my name is Trevor and I live in Northamptonshire in the UK.

I bought my Silver 05 Tiger 8 months ago with 3000 miles on the clock to replace an Africa Twin, which had done excellent service. Since then I have done 6000 miles on the Tiger covering local and long distance trips including a weeks touring in France. I have got to know the Tiger well now and find it very good for long distance or commuting although it does some times get left in the garage so I can play with one of my old BSAÌs instead.

So far the Tiger has had an MRA screen added which is better that the stock screen by a long way even if it is not perfect and a set of Touratech engine bars which I fitted today after a 3 month wait for delivery. The Touratech bar seem to be very well made but I dooo hope not to have to use them any time soon.

The only problem I have found at this stage is that the Triumph panniers leak and if I donÌt use the inner bags everything gets wet. Is there a good fix for this or is this something I have to live with, I notice that Triumph have done a recall on the ST luggage for the same problem.
Trevor

800 Tiger Road
79 Guzzi V50
72 BSA A65
56 BSA B33

greg

Hi and welcome. You can improve things with buffeting by fitting mirror wideners from triumphtigeronline, proper address is in a few recent threads. Completely eliminates the problem in conjunction with the MRA, I fit them a few days ago. Cruising speeds now a pleasure not a trial.
2004 Girly.

iansoady

Quote from: "tcbezza"The only problem I have found at this stage is that the Triumph panniers leak and if I donÌt use the inner bags everything gets wet. Is there a good fix for this or is this something I have to live with, I notice that Triumph have done a recall on the ST luggage for the same problem.

Welcome to the forum.

I had the same problem and discovered that the fixing brackets etc had been assembled using a very brittle sealant which seemed to have cracked round the bits that locate on the frames. I dismantled the whole lot (which would have been easier without the obligatory Triumph pop-rivets) and put silicon all over all the joints, including the catches and hinges. I haven't ridden the bike in very wet conditions since but did leave the panniers out in the garden for 24 hours in a torrential downpour and they seemed to stay dry......
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Jim S

Welcome mate, I'm an ex @T rider as well! Five of them to be exact! Great bikes, took me a while to get used to the Triumph. Love the Tiger now, I've an 04 model. I'm africajim on the XRV forum if you follow it!

I'm sure you'll love the Tiger, the wind is a pest, I've sort of got used to it now though. I've not tried moving the mirrors but may give it a try. My luggage leaks as well, seems a common problem, I'm not sure if it's the boxes over packed causing them to distort or what? I tried sealer on the fixings but didn't make any difference to mine.

I made a set of bars for mine based on the Touratech ones, they came in useful a month ago when I dropped it! Hope you don't need yours soon!

I've toured on mine as well, did the Stella Alpina on it a couple of months ago, brilliant bike offroad. Hope to see you on the road some time mate.

Take care out there.
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

tcbezza

Hi, Thanks for the welcome folks.

I think I will probably try moving the mirrors out as suggested once I get some clear time in the workshop, I am fighting to get a complete front end from a Triumph T140 gratfted onto my A65 at the moment so I want that finished before I get near anything else. (No I am not mad just want a front brake that works)

As for the luggage, I am off the the mototcycle show in Birmingham in 2 weeks so I will be talking to the Triumph guys there to see if they have any suggestions.
Trevor

800 Tiger Road
79 Guzzi V50
72 BSA A65
56 BSA B33

Andrew Tavener

Just one of those Triumph things ..... I recommend black bin liners!
Andrew, Swindon, UK

Chris Canning

All the Tiger ever gets used for a travelling long distance,on average we are away for two weeks at a streach,and all we ever use use is a tank bag and top box,50 ltr Givi,we have got our packing down to a fine art and with advent of vacum bags even better!!! but never felt the need for panniers.

davebikeuk

Hi Trevor,

I have a full set of triumph luggage on my tiger and they all leek the top box being the worst offender this was a big disappointment for me as the quality of the basic motorcycle is good but it appears that Triumph are buying crap (cheap) accessories and overcharging us for the privilage.

The best solution if you intend to keep the bike for a while is to get some Givi monokey luggage. Had these on my last bike and they did not leek in any weather and they work out far cheaper.  Givi Maxi top box £160

Triumph leeky box £300 etc.
DAVEBIKE